PDA

View Full Version : A Funny Work story...

Vince34
05-17-2003, 07:56 PM
Sup Fellas:

Going to sum up my situation at work real fast then tell the story. I work at a small Ad company and they are 5 old school peeps that work there. So old school that the lady art director draws all our ad layouts on tracing paper, then hands them to me to do everything in the computer. Well she doesn't even know basic Quark, Illustrator, Photoshop, eps, jpeg, RGB or CYMK skills in the mac but my boss still lets her do files on it. When i joined their company they were still on barel network conectors in a dasiy chain conection. Not a hub connection, but a circle of macs conected one by one. So i convinced my boss to do some major upgrades. He wanted cheap upgrade, so now we have two new 1ghz macs with a linksys 8 port hub. Went from 10mps barel cables to cat5e cables. For about $4200 i brought them up to a nice network. They had all the files in my G4 450 while i was working on it all day long. Talk about crash after crash. Now its a half assed server.

Anyway....

(((My boss is off this day))

So one day the "Art Director" goes to our Stylus Color 3000 printer and can't print her file. (it is on a stand alone G4 450 with stylus rip software) She asks me why she can't print her file. So i tell her to make sure nothing is RGB in her file and make sure every font is outlined (illustrator and this printer are picky). Well she tries to print again and still has a problem, at this point i tell her to go take some classes on Mac and Illustrator to learn basic skills.(Cause i'm sick telling her the same thing over an over) She gets mad and says she will figure it out on her own.(this happens everyday now) So now she is on her tenth time printing this file, so i'm laughing at her in my mind. Then out of no where i see her lean over the printer grabing something, then a poping sound and her moving backword to the desk like someone let go on a tug of war. I look at her hand and she is holding the new cat5e wire in her hand and with the end of the wire striped. Now my mind is boggling as to what in the world did she do now. I say out loud "Holy Hell" and she looks at me and said "i didnt know how to turn off the printer". So i go over to the printer and look at the back of it, and the network card in it ($220 card mind you) is striped out with shreded wire. I'm saying to myself that this just did not happen. She hands me the wire and says "i think there is something wrong with the printer" and walks away. Now i'm in complete shock as to what happened, and don't even know what to say or do at this point. So before i even go to fix this printer, i ask her "two years working on the same printer and you don't know how to turn the power button off?". She says "how am i supposed to know how to turn it off". So instead of talking to a brick wall i go back to the printer and turn it off and take a look at the wire and network card in the printer. Well the wire end when to shit and the network card was completly trashed. A total of $235 worh of damage. Now to top it off the one guy i work with who has no clue about computers comes over to me and asks "can you still print color copies? cause we need to send out this work tonight". Now i look at him stumped as to what to say to him holding the focked network card and striped wire in my hand. So just before i was about to respond to him, the art director comes out of her office and asks me "why can't i print to the color printer".

(((Now what in the world would one of you guys do in a situtation like this?)))

So i say to her "well if you didnt just riped out the wire and network card, we all would be able to print". Then she tells me "its not my fault the file wouldnt print". So i say "what??? you just riped out everything." Then she walks away grabs her stuff and goes to lunch. Just as i thought things couldnt get funnier/worse, my boss calls to check up on things. So i tell him over the phone as to what just happened. His reaction was like nothing i have ever herd before. He says to me "shit happens", and we'll have to order a new card.

Can anyone tell me what just happened? I told him this lady riped out everything, and blamed it on the file. And he didnt say or do anything about it that day or the next day. But he got on my case about money and upgradeing. I think i work in the Twilight Zone. Cause this is just my kind of luck i tell you. If it wasn't for the pay or all the freelance work i get at this job, i would have bounced like a bunny a long time ago.

Hope some of you guys can see the humor in this story, cause living it says enough.

Vince34
G4 450 (Swatooth) OSX 10.2.5
1024 Ram
3x18gig SCSI 40gig ATA
ATi 8500

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It is not the power of the Ragin Demon...but you past sins that will be your undoing<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ricks
05-18-2003, 07:45 PM
?
?
?
??I like danger and near death experiences. The only computer story I know like that: There I was, the only thing between me and a beautiful little brunette was a thin TiBook. As we grappled, the words she panted were, 'if you pull out your visa card I'm going to divorce you'. And that was the end of the TiBook fantasy.

R

Vince34
05-19-2003, 08:32 AM
Its good and bad.

Good - that i was laughing my ass off all week because of it.

Bad- i was the one who had to fix it.

And there will be more stories to come also. Cause this lady does something like this every week. I should write a book on her, would be a best seller.

Vince34
1024 Ram
3x18gig SCSI 40gig ATA
ATi 8500

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It is not the power of the Ragin Demon...but you past sins that will be your undoing<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Costa
05-21-2003, 01:57 AM
Dear Vince,

if it is of any consolation to you, I have stories just like that Lady Art Director of yours, but with different actors:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>A $2 million Purified Water Plant, 60% damaged, because....
<LI>Someone wanted more hot water....
[/list]
And you know what the moral is?
Training, training, training, training, training, training, training, training, training, training, training, training, training, training, training, training, training, training, training, training, training, training, training, training, training, training, training, training,.... and when you think you've done enough:
more training, more trianing, more trianing, more trianing, more trianing, more trianing, more trianing, more trianing, more trianing, more trianing, more trianing, more trianing, more trianing, more trianing, more trianing, more trianing, more trianing, more trianing, more trianing, more trianing, more trianing,......

Costa

Vince34
05-21-2003, 08:33 AM
Ahahaha

Well if you got stories i would love to hear them. Cause i was hoping i'm not the only one out there with problems like this.

Sad thing is tho.

"YOU CAN"T TEACH A OLD DOG NEW TRICKS"

and boy this Dog is old.

Vince34
1024 Ram
3x18gig SCSI 40gig ATA
ATi 8500

unclemac
05-26-2003, 10:48 PM
Here's a quick one from last Friday:

At an office several hours away that we support remotely, one of the cheeses was having problems with her Mac. After calling and asking for help, one of her local co-workers "who knows about computers" decided to assist...

Upon trying unsuccessfully to reconnect to the Mac in question via Timbuktu, we called. Yes, it is on. No, they can't surf the web or get email. And,"...by the way, I can't find my documents and stuff".

We say, "So what did you guys do?"

"Bill helped me use the restore discs to try and fix my mac..."

The restore discs!

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

If that were not enough, they decided to initialize the drive first!!!

Not sure if I should laugh or cry...

I'm going with laugh. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Vince34
05-27-2003, 08:32 AM
OMFG

Thats 100% pure comedy. Sad that they lost all their files, but good god restore disks? Man i would have laughed my ass off on the phone after they told me that.

Hope they know the number 1 golden rule about computers, allways back up your files to disks or something else. If not they out of luck.

That story made my day, thanks. Rough today at work and needed a good laugh.

Vince34
G4 1.25 DP (MDD) -- 1.25gig Ram -- 2x18gig SCSI -- 40gig & 80gig ATAs (all Seagates)
ATi Radion 9000 -- 21 Inch Apple Studio Display

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It is not the power of the Raging Demon...but you past sins that will be your undoing<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

unclemac
05-27-2003, 10:31 AM
We try very hard to support our users well, including training, etc. They are not savy users; that's OK, and it's our job to keep their Macs working... their primary jobs don't even require a computer, so we do alot of hand holding.

But I did laugh pretty hard after I hung up the phone http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif