PDA

View Full Version : Testing out a hardware RAID 5 on X

Doc
09-12-2002, 06:17 PM
Hi...

Just installed a Arena nee Maxtronic RAID 5 array - 6 x 100 GB WD drives on my G4/533 OS X server off an Atto UL3D card... Seems to be working fine under 10.2 The drives were originally on a Miles2 card on a 9.1 ASIP server and were originally set up with ExpressStripe...

(Word of warning: I had a power failure that hosed this array for two days - corrupted the directory and it took several runs with DiskWarrior and NDD to get the volume bits all back in play.. Time for a UPS system here)...

Chris

rwm
09-12-2002, 07:29 PM
Chris

You got bigger balls than me. Excuse the french.

Good Luck - Keep the fire extinguisher close. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Randy

Doc
09-13-2002, 12:13 AM
Yup... (about the fire extinguisher I mean)...

Actually - I was having all these funky problems w/ Retrospect trying to back up the RAID too for a while when it was on the ASIP server.. now - tomorrow when I get into work - that'll be the acid test to see if it's still running under OS X now..

I was worried - there's a fair bit of data on the RAID now - it's was all being backed up to VXA tapes though so I should be covered..

Chris

unclemac
09-13-2002, 01:42 AM
Keep it comin' Doc. I need to buy a RAID 5 box for 2 different G4s (maybe 1 dual-channel box?), and they are both running 10.2.

So you have a SCSI to ATA solution right? I mean SCSI between the Mac and the RAID contoller, with ATA drives, yes?

Any other thoughts? How is performance compared to say stock G4 with internal drive(s)?

schalliol
09-14-2002, 02:10 AM
I do realize that this is a new install and will likely have some kinks to be worked out, but certainly RAID 5 is supposed to increase reliability of such a system. Do you feel it would be easier now to quickly recover from such problems or do they not have a robust system?

BTW, if you need any help on an end-to-end power protection (and monitoring) system, I believe that I have a fair amount of knowledge in such configurations.

Doc
09-14-2002, 10:21 AM
Yup it's a SCSI-> ATA solution - the Atto card is in the G4/533 with the SCSI-IDE backplane being done by the hardware box. It has 6 WD 100GB 7200 drives in it, dual power supplies... As for benchmarking.. I'll take a look into it...

As for reliability - so far the only problem I've ever had stemmed from my goof-up...i.e. I knew that they were mucking around with the power in the building and were going to shut it down for a bit. I didn't get in in time to power down the RAID at the same time as the server went down.. That's what, I think, caused the directory problems. It's REALLY fast over our network though compared to how fast data was coming from our G3/7300 ASIP machine using a Miles2 card.. The OS X Server box is much more responsive than ASIP.

Network performance on a qualitative scale
Hardware RAID / Atto / OS X Server 10.1.4 / OS X 10.5 >>>>>>hardware RAID 5/Miles2/ASIP/9.1 >>> SCSI software raid (LVD/Miles2/ASIP/9.1)

This is over a switched 100BaseT network to both Wintel and OS X clients.

As for power solutions. could use some advice...

here's what I have in front of me (literally 8 " away)

RAID box w/ dual power supplies and 4 fans
External VXA tape drive
External FireWire CD-RW
G4/533
7300/200
PTP 200
2 external 4-bay Burly SCSI box (one w/ 2 VXA drives / one w/ 2 SCSI drives-CD-RW)
2 monitors (had three but picked up a KVM)

Needless to say - with this arrangement on all day - It's kinda of noisy ...
This set up is running my FM Pro server / two Retrospect servers / Webstar / OS X Server)

We also have a rack set up in another room that has an iMac / Dell PowerEdge 1400 SC server / Dell PowerEdge 350 rack server / monitor / beige box..

Those are pretty much the two setups that are locked in place - other cases, we have machines scattered around that probably should have UPS's as individual vs a centralized solutions

(lots of powerbars in use - that's for sure)...

Chris

Doc
09-14-2002, 10:25 AM
Oh - one other thing ;-)..

Might be getting an XServe or a Dual GHz G4 to test out in our lab - I called up our Apple Educational Rep and mentioned that our G4/733 were getting trounced by machines running Win2K on molecular dynamics calculations that had been either optimized for Altivec or SSE...

I will note the guys who supplied the software did some major rejigging of code and all of sudden our Altivec performance doubled..anyways - Apple may be loaning us a machine to play on.. that will be nice...