PDA

View Full Version : raid software - 040 based machines

kjay
08-21-2002, 12:07 AM
title pretty much says it all. anybody know what and where one might acquire raid software for 040 based cpu's running OS8.1?

i know, i know... don't ask. i feel the need to tinker.

thanks
kj

Dogstarman
08-21-2002, 12:23 AM
Huh....no.

I know Apple RAID needs a powerPC to run. SoftRAID won't do it either.

Not sure what all you can use from here, but ... http://www.macworld.com/1994/10/news/1093.html .

I will keep looking.

kaye
08-21-2002, 12:33 AM
kj,

Take a look here for FWB RAID http://www.fwb.com/ts/hdt/matrix.html

Charismac RAID (formerly Anubis RAID) check here http://charismac.com/Support/systemcomp.html

I guess the question is, can you find one of these old versions, or, in the case of Charismac RAID, is the latest version compatible with an 040 mnachine and OS8.1? k

Jazzbo
08-21-2002, 12:35 AM
Hey, Dogstarman, are you an Experimental Cinema buff? Only time I've come across 'Dog Star Man' was in an Experimental Cinema Criticism class back in '75. Brakhage did some strange, nearly psychedelic mind-bending in that one!

(Sorry I haven't got anything constructive to pitch into the discussion -- I just sorta rocked back when I saw your handle!)

Jazzbo

[This message has been edited by Jazzbo (edited 21 August 2002).]

Dogstarman
08-21-2002, 12:57 AM
Well, yes. But the name initially came from a college affinity with Meat Beat Manifesto (a group of entertaining musical folk). But Stan Brackhage is an amazing man. One of my favorites is "The Act of Seeing With One's Own Eyes". Pretty obscure reference....kudos to you!

On a different note, All that I can find about RAID SW tells about its OS8.1 compatibility...but nothing about having a 68k processor. This could be an interesting challenge.

Dogstarman
08-21-2002, 12:58 AM
Let me clarify....Meat Beat Manifesto has a song entitled "Dog Star Man". There...much better.

kjay
08-21-2002, 02:17 AM
speedy replies... nice!

kaye, i have talked to charismac support and they don't have anything lying around to offer. as for FWB, HDT3 is the first version incorporating raid. before that was RaidToolbox. unfortunately i missed an ebay auction for HDT3 nib - only $12.

i've done searches for Remus, Joule Raid, Anubis Raid, Charismac, and HDT. the only one i've had luck finding is HDT.

perhaps we have a challenge here.

since this is for an old Centris650 this may be more trouble than it's worth. my damn need to tinker. i suppose i could swap mobo's and go to a 7100 and use softraid, but that seems like cheating.

kj

kaye
08-21-2002, 09:20 AM
SoftRAID won't work on a NuBus PowerMac (PCI only) unless they have resurrected an old version of Apple RAID, I think it was called. k

kaye
08-21-2002, 09:50 AM
SoftRAID sez this http://www.softraid.com/compfaqs.lasso#Q9 so maybe there is a way but not with a NuBus SCSI card. I also just looked, have HDT v2.06 but, as you say no RAID separate package, then jump to v4 with RAID included but does not work on your box. k

kjay
08-21-2002, 11:08 AM
thanks kaye,

i didn't see that about softraid. i did go back to charismac's page for one last look. they state on their supported hardware page the fwb jackhammer. i put in another post to their support crew. we'll see what they say.

kj

Dogstarman
08-21-2002, 08:16 PM
If you want to try Apple RAID, I've got versions 1.0.2, 1.1.1 and 1.5.3 , but they all say they require a PowerPC, but you are more than welcome to ask me for a burned copy of the SW for...ummm...evaluation. Otherwise, I am drawing a blank on help.

ricks
08-21-2002, 08:26 PM
Hey Kjay,

?I still have the FWB HDT 2.0.6 on floppies. I don't own a working floppy drive so I have no idea if it will do what you want it to. If you find out that it can build your 040 raid I'm happy to survey the disks to you.

Rick

kjay
08-22-2002, 01:11 AM
thanks for all the help.

this one was quite a battle. i just got a reply from lacie tech support...

Thanks for contacting LaCie Technical Support. Silverlining 6.4.5a will work with any processor--it is pur 68k code. It is recommended you have 8.6 or newer, but you should not see any problems with 8.1 except maybe some display issues. If you have this version and see problems, we can always back you up to a slightly earlier version which will support back to OS 7.5, but still have HFS+ support.
--
Regards,
Technical Support

looks like this may be the thing.

Ricks - thanks for the offer. raid didn't show up in HDT until v.3.
Dogstarman - I might take you up on that offer. I'm not sure if i want to upgrade the mobo. i'm kinda interested in seeing what that little 040 can do. I actually stumbled across a website where a dude ugraded a PM7100 with dual ATTO SEIV's. according to his screen shots he was haulin ass. ofcourse it was all in japanese.

thanks again everybody
kj

Macaholic
08-22-2002, 02:56 PM
I have a copy of HDT3 if you want to go that route
Dave

kjay
08-22-2002, 09:38 PM
hey Dave,

thanks for the offer. Is it the PE version or the full HDT?

Only the full version had any sort of raid capability. I'd be interested if it's the full deal.

thanks
kj

Dogstarman
08-22-2002, 11:34 PM
Hey there,

I was going through all my Mac CD's and there's a full version of HDToolkit 3.0 with user's guide and serial number. I forgot I used it a few years ago to stripe some old Cudas. The cool thing about the CD is that it is a bootable Mac OS CD. And right there in its requirements page is this:

"Mac OS version 7.5.3 or later
Any model of Mac with at least a 68030 processor"

So there you go. If you want the CD and/or the AppleRAID to tinker with, email me privately and we can arrange it for the cost of shipping.