PDA

View Full Version : SoftRAID for G4 w/OSX + 3 36B SCSI ?

cineQuation
08-21-2002, 08:27 PM
Will my faithful SoftRAID 2.1 program work in my new G4? With OSX running on one 36G SCSI U160 as a controller for two more 36G SCSI U160¬óRAID level '0' (striped)?

Or do I need upgraded SoftRAID?

It worked on my G3 tower with three 9G Ultra SCSI II drives.

With the controller drive in SCSI I.D. position '0', is the best position for the others #s 2 and 4, as I have heard?

Thanks for your consideration,
Richard

ricks
08-21-2002, 08:35 PM
Hi Richard,

¬?SoftRAID is easy to upgrade to 2.2.2 but it still will not handle OSX. Softraid LLC has promised that it will release an X version in the near after, that is near after 10.2 gets released.

¬?At this time we have Apple RAID via Disk Utility in OSX, we have ATTO Express Stripe and we have Intech Speedtools. I am not yet impressed with any of them and I for one am waiting on Softraid to solve my wants.

¬?Your ID scenario works fine. As long as the drives have differing ID's it doesn't matter a whole lot what numbers u choose between 0 and 6 or 8 thru 15. Choosing ID0 is convention for the boot drive and being ID0 it gets looked at first during a scan of the bus.

¬?Hope that answers your question. Congrats on the new G4, they are way cool.

Rick

[This message has been edited by ricks (edited 21 August 2002).]

TZ
08-22-2002, 05:15 AM
Are you doing the BTO or adding the SCSI yourself? Apple's "tax" for their setup is hefty, as well as not true dual-channel. And then ATTO now has the UL4S/D at the same price as the older UL3S/D but has better support for Ultra320.

CharisMac RAIDtoolkit (suppose to work in OS 9 and OS X) may be worth a side-upgrade, or use Apple's RAID in OS X 10.2 (but only works under OS X).

Gregory

cineQuation
08-22-2002, 11:24 AM
Thanks to Ricks for the Rapid Fire response. And to Gregory as well.

I'm awaiting delivery on G4 with one 36 SCSI installed; I've got the 2 IBM 36ZX U-SCSI II U160 10,000 RPMs sitting here on my desk; I'll plug'em in myself and pay the 'tax' and then use the RAID of OSX until SoftRAID comes out for OSX.

My last system kicked so much A__ that I can never go elsewhere¬óespecialy since DV is my format for and it's already overkill on transfer rate. Gurus to get all my G4 RAIDware and memory orders for carrying me through my G3 project.

Sad to hear Apple's RAID in OSX won't cross over under OS 9. I wonder how much that is going to hurt.

Richard