PDA

View Full Version : mirrored RAID in a Windows NT machine

Dick Brillo
07-29-2002, 05:22 PM
Gurus,

Do any of you know where I can get info on installing a mirrored RAID on a Windows NT machine?

I want to create one in a Windows NT file server where I work. I've done a lot of research and the info is hard to come by. Wish there was a macgurus.com for Windows NT! I've learned so much from these forums that I want to purchase as much as possible from macgurus.com This what I've come up with:

Adaptec SCSI RAID 2100S RAID Controller Kit
(2) Seagate Cheetahs 36GB 10k
Granite cabling and term.
Exabyte VXA-1 tape drive

Any thoughts or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Santilli
07-30-2002, 03:10 AM
Try www.storagereview.com. (http://www.storagereview.com.)

s

Santilli
07-30-2002, 03:12 AM
Ken at Granite might be able to help you through this. I will say you bought one of the biggest POS raid cards ever made, the 2100.

Still, for what you are doing, it might be adequate...
s

Santilli
07-30-2002, 03:14 AM
Briefly put, you connect everything, then spend the next 8 hours trying to figure out the raid bios on the card you have. This is the common way of setting up hardware raid on PC's.

Raid bios are truly hard to work with, but, once setup, mine has been fantastic, sustained 110mb/sec rates.

Read the manual on the bios, and the raid setup, and good luck..
s

Dick Brillo
07-30-2002, 10:23 AM
Santilli,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for bringing up Windows for a topic, but I don't know where else to turn. I am dreading making a hardware RAID on a PC, but I don't have a choice. My Boss will freak if I bring in a Mac--wish I could. I thought at least I'll put in good hard drives from macgurus.com

What is POS? Piece Of Shit? I don't know what to get? I just searched Adaptec's webpage to find a simple card to make a mirror--I don't know where to turn (I'm reading StorageReview.com now). It will only be used as a file server. I want the mirror cause I want reliability--not speed.

It is a MicronPC NetFRAME 2101 Server Pentium III/450Mhz/64MB RAM. It has a UW SCSI dual integrated controller card (one wide, one narrow) on the motherboard. The wide one controls a 18GB LVD drive (the cable fell apart in my hands!!! POS!!!), and the narrow one controls two CD-ROMs (one CD-RW) and a Seagate DAT drive (I'm replacing with the VXA-1).

My concern is if I introduce a new hardware card will it screw up the existing SCSI bus?

ricks
07-30-2002, 10:44 AM
There are a couple of other solutions that come to mind.

?Acard makes all of its Hardware RAID cards for the PC as well as the Mac.

?You could also install a PCI ATA133 host and one of Arco Products RAID boxes. These will work in Macs or in PC's. See: http://www.arcoide.com/

?You also could install one of the excellent 3 to 6 drive RAID5 externals. Depends on how big you'll ever need.

Just popping a couple idea's. I've been very very lucky and never even had to touch a NT box.

Rick

Dick Brillo
07-30-2002, 11:27 AM
Rick,

Awesome ideas! I don't know why I didn't think of IDE! I got wrapped up into SCSI cause it was there already (and secretly, I have a fetish for laying my hands on two matched Seagate Cheetah 36.7GB 15k Ultra160 - ST336752LW drives and Granite Digital cabling...)

The ARCO products are sweet! But I think the Acard AEC-6880 PCI ATA-133 IDE RAID Adapter and two Seagates Barracuda ATA/100 IDE 80GB - ST380021A rives will do the trick!

You ROCK baby!

Dick Brillo
07-30-2002, 11:36 AM
Can I buy the Acard AEC-6880 PCI ATA-133 IDE RAID Adapter throught the Gurus?

ricks
07-30-2002, 01:14 PM
I don't know. You should either call or email Deb. deb@macgurus.com and see if they stock that card.

Rick

magician
07-31-2002, 12:54 AM
not sure if deb has the Acard laying around....but she does have the Miglia boards. (Aren't they the same, pretty much? Can you tell I've been away on a long vacation?)

ugh.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ricks
07-31-2002, 01:49 AM
?He's actually looking for the PC version and my brain died a rapid death and saw Acard and thought, Miglia.

I have absolutely NO idea if Miglia makes anything for PC's. I suppose if one is looking for the PC version one should shop at a PC store, maybe Provantage.com?

Rick

kaye
07-31-2002, 02:02 AM
Miglia does not http://miglia.com/products/index.html but Acard does http://www.acard.com/eng/product/adapter/pc/ide/aec-6880.html k

Dick Brillo
07-31-2002, 11:18 AM
Yeah, the AEC-6880 is the one I was looking at. It will give me hardware RAID under Windows which I need with Windows NT. I can get it through their web site for $75--just wanted to give macgurus.com my business if possible. I will definately buy the hard drives, cables and Exabyte stuff through you guys.

Dick Brillo
07-31-2002, 11:40 AM
One last question just to rest my mind... the IDE card ain't gunna screw up that internal SCSI bus is it?

kaye
07-31-2002, 01:49 PM
Can't say for a PC, but when I tested the 6880M (in HardRAID mode, seen as SCSI) in my PTP, I also had a Miles2 with an X15, a boot hard drive on internal SCSI, and a Bluenote running a SCSI CD-ROM drive. Four SCSI busses, all working. k

Dick Brillo
07-31-2002, 02:12 PM
Thanks K. I'm going for it! Buying now--I'll update my results for the hell of it.

Dick Brillo
08-06-2002, 04:32 PM
UPDATE
------

I got my order yesterday, installed the parts today, and the damn thing worked! To recap, I wanted a RAID 1 (Mirror Mode) on a Windows NT machine. I had to go with a hardware RAID to make it work. The NT machine had an onboard SCSI contoller with an IBM Ultrastar 18ES (DNES-318350) 18GB LVD/SE hard drive (kept as boot drive). With Ricks suggestion, I went with an IDE RAID. I bought an Acad ATA-133 RAID AEC-6880 card for $75 and two 80GB Seagate Barracudas (ST380021A) from macgurus.com. Performance is as follows (using ATTO ExpressPro Tools for PC):

single IBM SCSI drive = 18.2MB/Sec max write and 18.2MB/Sec max read
(2) drives w/ATA-133 IDE RAID 1 = 35.8MB/Sec max write and 38.9MB/Sec max read!

Very happy with the numbers and will sleep very well tonight with my new acquired redundancy! Thanks for helping me out with a PC problem and to you Rick for your suggestions!