PDA

View Full Version : Need Video Storage for Quicksliver 2002

Josh Race
07-18-2002, 05:43 PM
HI Raid forum,
I've got a 933 with the stock 60 gig drive (all partitioned up for os 9 and os X). I'm doing some video work and need more space. I have a budget of around $500. What should I do?

thanks,
JOsh

ricks
07-18-2002, 08:48 PM
Hi ya Josh,

?With a $500 budget you are down to a single choice if you want a RAID, ATA133 hardware RAID host and a couple of decent ATA100 drives.

The Gurus are selling the Miglia ATA133 Hardware RAID card although I don't think it's on the pages yet, you'll have to call Deb @ 1-800-775-DRAM.

?I am running the Siig packaged version of that card with a couple of the Gurus Barracuda's on my 867. You can get some performance numbers off the chart on this page DataBase (http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000289.html) as well as a couple of graphs that include the ATA133 hosts with a couple of different drives. I would recommend the Cudas for reliability, quiet operation, cost and speed.

?Just about any option using SCSI will cost almost $500 just for the host card and I will never recommend Firewire as a RAID or fast storage alternative, Firewire is just a way of adapting ATA drives externally, at least today.

?Hope that helps,

Rick

Josh Race
07-18-2002, 09:52 PM
Thanks Ricks,
that's a great help...any diff between the siig and migilia host card that I should consider?

By the way, I don't know much about raid, but I'm assuming I want it for video, is there any reason I wouldn't ? is there a better route for my budget?

And just for comparison... (for my fantasy purposes), what would be the most simple scsi raid setup I could do for a tight budget?

thanks,
Josh

[This message has been edited by Josh Race (edited 18 July 2002).]

ricks
07-19-2002, 01:01 AM
Josh,

?First: there is no real difference between Acard, Miglia, Siig and Sonnet ATA133 hosts since they are all Acard chipsets if not Acard repackaged units. Takes your pick.

?Second: you will enjoy video being rendered and worked on a raid. You MUST plan a good backup plan if you do have your data on a raid0 stripe. Stripes are the least secure method of data storage there is (well, almost) loss of the index, a drive, the software controlling the stripe...all will permanently lose you your data.

?There are two kinds of people, those that have already experienced a data loss and those that will (the second of which includes everyone that owns a computer) A striped raid adds together a couple of factors making it more likely you can have a failure. This is easily handled with a decent backup plan, but woe be to those that ignore that.

?A striped raid is one of the best ways to accelerate your computer for all types of disk intensive processes. And the acceleration can be considerable. You will find rendering operations go much faster as you get your RAID speed up.

?IDE RAIDs are limited to somewhere around 100ish MB/sec of through-put. You will see almost double the performance as a single drive. But that is the limit. There is no gain to be had by adding drives.

?SCSI striped RAIDs on the other hand are quite easy to get full saturation of the PCI bus which typically tops out around 220MB/sec. That's FAST! Using an ATTO UL3D host card (or its UL3S brother) and a couple of fast drives like Seagate Cheetahs you will see speeds well in excess of 120 MB/sec and as you add drives the array will get even faster. ATTO page at the Gurus HERE (http://www.macgurus.com/products/drives/attoboards.php).

?SCSI definitely costs more. You will need a host, and the ATTO is THE host to have in a G4. You will need Ultra160 rated cables and an active terminator.HERE (http://www.macgurus.com/products/drives/mgscsiteflonintcables.php) We'll be happy to help you configure those.

?You'll also want fast drives. Seagate Cheetahs HERE (http://www.macgurus.com/products/drives/mg_hdseagates.php)

?The nice thing with SCSI is it is scalable. At this time all of our numbers for performance that you see on the database page were taken from OS9 running computers. OS9 is a very mature system and RAID performance was also quite mature, we aren't quite there yet with OSX. Things should get better after 10.2 is released but right now the choices in software are few as well as fraught with reliability issues and limited versatility.

?I really like the ATTO external RAID0 I use for scratch disk space, but as an initial 2 drive array it costs at least twice as much to install to start out as compared to a IDE Hardware RAID. Big difference is that I get 220 plus MB/sec capability after adding in the third and fourth drives, can't do that with IDE at all.

?I guess it all depends on how fast you want to afford, 'cause there be some real speed available to you if you want it. Remember that you should always try to use identical drives when building an array so plan your purchases carefully so you won't be out looking to match drives that no longer are available.

?Minimum setup:

1 ATTO UL3S
1 Granite internal cable (for 2 drives use the GD1200)
1 Granite terminator (GD-2015)
1 or 2 Seagate 10k drives. (ST318406LW or bigger)

?This is purely my opinion as to what constitutes a minimum configuration. The above item will top out with three drives at 160 MB/sec so I suppose a three drive cable would be a better choice and allow for a future expansion to full host card capability. You would need the UL3D Dual Channel Card to achieve the full saturation of the PCI bus.

?Sorry I get so long winded.

Rick

[This message has been edited by ricks (edited 19 July 2002).]

Josh Race
07-19-2002, 02:21 PM
Thanks for your generous feedback.

Josh

TZ
07-20-2002, 03:41 PM
Rick,

You've got to bookmark that tip, it just comes up all the time and is so easy to read.

ricks
07-20-2002, 03:48 PM
Gregory,

You are way kind. Thanks.