PDA

View Full Version : ExpressStripe 1.1

TZ
07-17-2002, 02:56 PM
I was surprised to find that ExpressStripe 1.1 was posted to ATTO software page, along with Express-Tools 2.8.1 and a configure tool for UL4S/D for OS X v. 2.0.

ExpressStripe was 1.0 and $29 when it first came out. Some months ago it was changed to $99 but without any version change. It is suppose to work in OS X 10.1+ and OS 9. If you have Apple RAID, you have to initialize the drives first before you can create ExpressStripe volume(s), it does allow for multiple stripe volumes.

If anyone tries and has some benchmark numbers or feedback, that would be very welcome.

Gregory

kaye
07-17-2002, 04:32 PM
I can't find ExpressStripe 1.1 Gregory. Have you got a link? k

TZ
07-17-2002, 05:59 PM
http://www.attotech.com/software/

¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?Drivers/Firmware/Extensions¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?
¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?Applications/Tools/Utilities¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?
¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?ATTO ExpressStripe/ExpressRAID Updates¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?

You'll find the UL4X in the first download link, the ExpressTools 2.81 in the next and the ES 1.1 updater authorization and download in the third link.

That takes you to an authorization page requiring your serial number, previous authorization code, etc. You can then download the file. ATTO will then send an email authorization code.

I tried installing on two different setups. On the first I didn't have ExpressStripe 1.0 - I had not reinstalled it during the last clean install. On another system that had 1.0 I could run the updater. So it seems to require the older version be there first.

What makes that worse is that when I downloaded the updater, it has the same name as 1.0, "ExpressStripe.pkg" and ExpressStripe.sit and I over-wrote the earlier installer also.

When setting up the RAID, be sure to use the System Info tab in ExpressStripe to find out which drive is 'drive0, 1, ...' so that you don't initialize the wrong drive.

Creating multiple stripe partitions: Really can't resize partitions w/o ending up with free space. I chose three, all equal, if I shrink "0" I can't use the extra space in "Volume 1." It's a weird interface and program. I'm just now finishing up and ready to test it in OS 9.

I think Apple has got to have some robust RAID for 10.2 developed for their XServe and hopefully in the OS X client. Or SoftRAID X. At $99, ES 1.1 better be good, if you are lucky, you got it when it was $29. If it does perform well in both OS X AND OS 9, it could be a good value even at $99.

Gregory

TZ
07-18-2002, 04:40 AM
My advice: skip ExpressStripe.

There appears to be some problem still if you use Disk Warrior. It may be that having a non-bootable system stored on the raid volume will cause DW (maybe Norton as well) to want to repair the boot blocks, to not be able to show the preview window (cosmetic?).

With 1.0 I wrote Alsoft to let them be aware, one of the level one's at ATTO seemed to think that DW (I doubt they really were familiar with the program) was harmful. One of the reasons for even booting and accessing volumes in OS 9 was to be able to run Disk Warrior as well as access the data.

With Disk Utility under 10.1.5 and Drive10 I could verify the volumes. Didn't want to chance it and try a repair or need to. Here also, with three volumes on two drives, Disk First Aid shows one of the volumes under the tab for DriveA, and the other volumes as being assigned to DriveB.

I guess someone might want to use ExpressStripe while transitioning to OS X, but it may not be reliable, and I would be better off with plain old hfs+.

The one good part is that it seems to have decent read/write performance but I only did some simple tests, which were hampered by the fact that the B&W is prevented by PCI bus from greater than 50-53 sustained writes.

Where is SoftRAID X? Waiting for 10.2 and to make sure Apple doesn't make any last minute changes to put finishing touch? September/October?

Gregory

kaye
07-18-2002, 09:19 AM
Gregory,

Got it. Dummy me, I kept seeing Version 1.0 when in fact it says Current Version 1.0. Duh. I too purchased 1.0 at $29. Thanks for all the outstanding info. I'll wait on installing it and, if I do so, will install version 1.0 first. k

Boots
07-18-2002, 09:19 AM
Thanks to all your research Gregory, I've avoided ExpressStripe. Since I'm outta 9 altogether, I'm sticking with AppleRAID for the cheetahs with Apple drivers; haven't had a problem yet. Disk Utility is actually pretty robust for partitioning once you figure out how to split volumes to make smaller volumes. Maybe Jag 'll give us partitions on a stripe- if not surely SoftRAIDX. Hopefully by then we'll get get a native DiskWarrior. From what you've indicated, Drive Ten doesn't seem ready as a complete repair/maintenance solution...

I decided to give Filesaver free rein to make data, index, and volume files. No hiccups yet. (not that I'm planning on having to use it!)I set the scheduling for early in the am when I'm usually away from the QS.

I've got Apple drivers on everything now- split the Acard back to 2 drives instead of hardware stripe- feels just as fast, safer, and not such a space waste.

Thanks again for all your research and work. Its a huge help to all of us.
Did you end up doing a DiskWarrior roundup from that last episode? Hope you got it all back..

------------------
'There's no perm
option for the naughty
bits.'- from man chmod

TZ
07-18-2002, 09:47 AM
I had a corrupt OS X system on the "source" volume when CCC and my improperly cabled RAID died. I pulled an ATA drive off the shelf which had OS X on it, no OS 9, but it was easy to just do a clean install of 9.2.1 anyway. You can ALWAYS add 9 to an OS X volume. Had to scrap the OS 9 folder and the only way to scrap OS X was to clone to it. Once I realized CCC was safe to use.

So I tried SoftRAID, then ExpressStripe. I was wondering if AppleRAID somehow was to blame for things, ie, CCC sets the destination volume to be bootable, so it looks for and maybe tries to configure boot blocks. RAID isn't bootable, so maybe the two 512 byte boot blocks aren't there or something and that killed things. Disk Warrior is an "all or nothing" on boot blocks, and I don't trust Norton 7 on that score yet.

I disabled the Norton FS stuff totally. No thanks. If you have NAV, CCC will slow to a crawl while NAV checks each and every file that CCC touches. You can disabled NAV and reboot I think, or kill the process using Process Viewer, or put up with 33% cpu killing performance.

I WANTED to trust ATTO, after all, its their UL3S, but their software, even their ExpressTools 2.81 doesn't rate high marks from users - but it is one way to erase a drive so that Drive Setup etc can initialize it. Sometimes DS will fail on a first attempt to initialize which is scary.

I expect 10.2 with its new recompiled drivers and stuff (req'd) will make a difference. Whether that includes having to recreate RAID volumes only time will tell.

I must be in the minority in thinking that 10.2 is worth $129, but most of us have paid in sweat 10x that, and could feel 'cheated' that we deserve a CD for sticking with it. If it was my IT department, I'd have waited until 10.2 has had a couple updates before deploying for the "rest of us."

I'd love to see a quarterly OS CD subscription, like you can with FreeBSD etc. that are like $25 each. I ordered Darwin 1.5.1 and whatever comes after just to see. I wonder if they will work with an Apple RAID - or whether OS X 10.2+ will work with Darwin RAID...?

Gregory

Boots
07-18-2002, 11:55 AM
I am so ready for that cd! Seems like I have more space tied up in X updaters than real data!
I'm right there with ya on the 129. I WANT to keep paying Apple to push the limits. SJ has .sac http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif: Too bad the gig's up on the free storage..

I seem to have complete control over Filesaver, NAV et al, either through Norton Scheduler or/and Boot Config. I'll run this stuff for awhile, knock it out for a comparison to get a sense of when and when not to deploy (regarding clock cycle robbery)...thanks for the tip on CCC/Norton.

Awesome you got right to the root of the nuked volumes.

I ended up puttin my swap on a little one gig volume just under my primary X system; figured nothing to lose cept less frag on the system if and when additional swappers get built.

------------------
'There's no perm
option for the naughty
bits.'- from man chmod