PDA

View Full Version : UL3D vs UL4D

FrozenTundra
07-12-2002, 02:30 PM
Has anyone compared the performance of an ATTO UL3D against the ATTO UL4D?

Are there any known issues with the UL4D?

Thank's FT

kaye
07-12-2002, 02:52 PM
I don't believe anyone at the retail level has the UL4S/UL4D yet. And that is very strange because they were first announced around SF MacWorld Expo 2002 in January. I had my hands on a prototype of the UL4D there. It was just a tad longer than the UL3D as I recall. Then in April this http://www.lsilogic.com/news/product_news/pr20020410.html came out but try to find one. Even ATTO's online store does not have the cards. I have no idea what is going on. So far just another vaporware. k

FrozenTundra
07-15-2002, 01:19 PM
That sure is curious. ATTO site has some nice pictures and description of the card. I am more than happy with the UL3D cards that we have. I will probably just go with another UL3D card. I will be lodging a complaint with Apple regarding the "Dual Channel" card that shipped with the BTO G4 I purchased. The idea of calling a card that has one internal and one external channel, a dual channel card is a bit misleading to say the least. Every other dual channel card I have ever purchased has had dual internal and dual external connections.
FT

TZ
07-15-2002, 01:35 PM
ATTO has UL4S and UL4D entries for the driver/firmware updates in their downloads, but right now they are empty, clicking button doesn't do anything, but seems like it is delayed. I think once the X15.3 (3rd generation Seagate Cheetah X15's) are ready, ATTO will be close behind.

ricks
07-15-2002, 01:41 PM
?The single external/single internal configuration does seem kind of retarded. The card does work as well as a retail UL3D barring your specific configuring issues though.

?At the current time there is little reason to upgrade to the UL4D. That card also works in Sun servers and other higher PCI throughput computers. With the Mac being limited to 220MB or so per second there is no way that you can USE the added capacity that a UL4D would give you. The limit is the PCI bus, not the card.

?At that, the UL3D is still the king of speed for Macs. It'll be nice to have the UL4D in the X-Server with its 533 MB/sec PCI bus, it should really rip there.

Rick

TZ
07-15-2002, 02:45 PM
I see that there is a flash utility for the UL4S/D now on www.attotech.com (http://www.attotech.com) downloads.

Flash File for ExpressPCI UL4D, UL4S Host Adapters - (File Size 200KB) This is the file required by the ExpressPCI Configuration Tool to reflash the host adapter.