PDA

View Full Version : Array question

07-02-2002, 03:03 PM
How do I reset the array if it freezes during transfer of files? We've had this happen several times that if someone is downloading files from the server, and someone else tries to log on, it will freeze every computer that is logged on, whether or not they're doing anything on it.

TZ
07-02-2002, 03:56 PM
You might want to investigate the issues further to try to resolve the underlying cause of these freezes etc. For now, to help isolate the problem, can you give more detailed specifics as to the hardware, OS, software, drivers, type of RAID setup (assume it would be SoftRAID, ATTO, multiple Cheetah drives). OS X Server?

Thanks,
Gregory

07-03-2002, 10:39 PM
I don't know all of that information. It is a Mac G4 533 MHz, with OS X Server software, and I don't know any version numbers of anything. The array is 4 36GB Seagate Cheetahs with an ATTO. That's about all I can tell you. Would it be better if I just called Tech Support during normal business hours when I can be at the computer?

TZ
07-04-2002, 10:39 AM
Apple's System Profiler application is a good place to start to gather the information on the hardware and software, as well as versions, model numbers, what firmware they have. Very good starting point.

I would recommend testing the drives with Apple Disk First Aid along with Drive10 (MicroMat).

I think MacNN has a forum devoted to Server, as does the Apple Discussions area. Try searching through those.

Your system administrator should know how to troubleshoot the server, the RAID, etc. That said, RAID under OS X is only available using Apple's or ATTO ExpressStripe, and both are "work in progress" it seems.

You can't boot from RAID so either you have an ATA drive or an internal Cheetah. Is the ATTO card OEM that came with the system or retail?

Search through O'Reilly - great online Mac info and articles, search Amazon for books on OS X Server, and by all means search the Apple Knowledge Base and ADC Developer Notes (free but registration required for some areas).

Even if you call tech support, you need to document your system. And you likely want to get beyond the level 1 support if there is a real problem, otherwise, a book and know-how on basic troubleshooting. OS X Disaster Relief from the same author of the "Sad Macs' series might be handy.

Sometimes it is amazing what can come from using Google to search - even MacInTouch and MacFixit reports show up.

Gregory

TZ
07-04-2002, 02:00 PM
Check out the OS X Server Discussions (http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@118.TzTNakKqc7h^18@.eeff4aa) on Apple's forums. I've read where FireWire can cause 2 minute delays in login, RAID permission problems, but start with some basic disk troubleshooting first.

07-05-2002, 07:55 AM
Thanks. My biggest problem, however, is time. I am at work 12 hours a day most of the time, constantly working, as we are very far behind in what we're doing, and I just don't have alot of time to do anything with this. I am the system admin and have NO idea what this server thing is about. I just got it hooked up, installed, and operating. What I really need is someone who can just tell me exactly what to look at, what to test, and what to do, basically. I've never used any of the applications you mentioned like the Disk First Aid or Drive 10. The only time I will have to do this is on a weekend when no one else is working and even then, the first weekend that I will be available to do this is July 20th. Other than that, I can't take the server down at all, because it's constantly being accessed for our work. It's got 80 GB of work on it now.

The SCSI card says its an ATTO Express PCI Pro UL3D, card rom # 1.6.6f0, revision 1, scsi-2 type. Other than that, all that's attached is the keyboard and mouse. Everything having to do with the array (scsi ATTO card, cable, array) came from MacGurus.

I will see if I can get time next week to get to the Apple boards to look, where is the MacNN forum?

I appreciate your attempts to get me some help. I am just so frustrated with everything and being short on time is not helping the situation. Thanks!

TZ
07-05-2002, 10:27 AM
Sounds like you are over your head my friend. Disk Warrior and Apple's Disk First Aid - No installation should be without Disk Warrior IMO, and DFA should be your first line of defense at first sign of trouble (along with having a current backup). Sad Macs (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author=Landau%2C%20Ted/102-3869964-5772902) deals with OS 9 is worth having - a good hands on and well written book.

It sounds like you might just need to backup and reformat the drives and restore your files. That is the fastest and most likely cure. Along with making sure your system is current and properly configured. I know that I can spends days looking for why, when doing the above will fix the problem, often in less time - but no one wants to.

Database servers are often marked by redundancy, the ability to continue even if a component fails. Linux and Apple's new XServe target 24/7 systems.

Some books to get started and offer help: Mac OS X Disaster Relief (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201788691/ref%3Dase%5Ftedmac-20/103-0792917-3283848) and you might want to look for some books for Mac Server issues at Amazon and O'Reilly Mac Center (http://mac.oreilly.com/index.html) Ted's page with info about his OS X Disaster book is here (http://www.tlandau.com/osxrelief.shtml)

Gregory
(not part of MacGurus, just an ex-systems programmer)

[This message has been edited by Gregory (edited 05 July 2002).]