PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need to set up array

06-22-2002, 09:23 AM
I am finally getting around to trying to hook up the array we have again to the server. The last time I did this, it didn't work correctly, not all of the hard drives in it came up. So I sent it back to be fixed. We got it back months ago, but in the meantime, we'd set up completely to run without it, server OSX installed and everything up and running. Now we're in a crunch and need the array up so we have more server space. Only now I can't get it to come up at all like it was supposed to when I originally installed it. I have NO idea what I'm doing and I need to get this done ASAP. I turn it on and all 4 orange lights and the green light come on, it starts up (this is from me hearing it, not seeing it) and then all 4 orange lights go off. Then it just sits there. I have tried it with the terminator plugged in on the top and the bottom, neither way makes a difference. I have an ATTO ExpressPCI Ultra3 Single-Channel RAID Kit with SoftRaid (I know it won't work with OSX and have instructions on erasing them and striping them at RAID level 0), 4 Seagate Cheetah 36GB hard drives. The server is a G4 533. Again, I need this up and running ASAP. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

kaye
06-22-2002, 10:44 AM
ASolis,

First, have you updated SoftRAID to the latest version 2.2.2? And, can you launch ATTO ExpressPro-Tools, version 2.7 or later and tell us what the ATTO card's firmware version it shows in the left window? It should say something like "Bus 0 ATTO Technology Rev 0164", meaning firmware 1.64.

If you have SoftRAID 2.2.2 and ATTO firmware 1.64 or later, then have you launched SoftRAID and are all of the drives shown in the window? If so, highlight (single click) one of the drives in the right side of the window under DRIVES. From the Menu Bar select Disk and drag down to Initialize... Then do a quick Initialize of the drive selected. Now, for the same drive but under VOLUMES on the left side, single click the same drive. In the Menu Bar click Volume and drag to New... Follow the selections in that window, for the moment don't partition, name it and just let it be a single volume HFS+. Are you now seeing the volume/drive icon on the desktop? For the moment, let's stop there and tell us what the results are.

There are several ways to complete this process of getting this striped RAID (RAID 0) completed. I only do it one way, but let's start with trying to get a single drive up and running.

BTW, who built the array and is all of the external and internal cabling ATTO or Granite? What are the model numbers of the drives? Are they all of the same model numbers? k

06-22-2002, 11:01 AM
kaye,

MacGurus built the array. And I have NO idea how to check for the version numbers on anything. External cables are Granite, and I don't know what the internal ones are. All the hard drives should be the same model number, I'm assuming, since you guys put it together all at once. Sorry I don't know how to do this stuff. I'm great at running PhotoShop and getting the network running, but this kind of thing is way out of my league.

kaye
06-22-2002, 01:08 PM
OK, along with your MacGurus array there should be some docs that tell who exactly built it. Can you find that and tell me who it is? Then I will email him and, if he is available on the weekend, try to get him to join in here. k

06-22-2002, 01:21 PM
I have the invoice, which was the only piece of paper sent with the array, but I don't see a name on it anywhere.

BTW, is there any way of recovering files after the trash has been emptied? I had a big, big problem and I've lost some files. The Norton SystemWorks can't find any of the files I'm missing. Any hope?

kaye
06-22-2002, 01:30 PM
I don't work for MacGurus and live on the left coast. I emailed Magician about your problem but so far have not heard back. I'll try another more general email in hopes of flagging someone down. You may want to call if your needs are immediate and refer to this topic.

I use Norton Utilities and unErase. If SystemWorks has something similar and can't recover those files, you will have to try another utility like Tech Tool Pro. k

06-22-2002, 01:36 PM
Thanks for your help.

No, UnErase and the File Saver didn't have any results for me. I'm afraid it's gone completely.

I'm about done for today, so maybe I'll just get with someone on Monday.

kaye
06-22-2002, 01:55 PM
One last question. On the back of the array, is there a signed name and date of build there? If so, whose name? k

06-22-2002, 02:29 PM
It says build, but no signed and dated area. The date on the invoice says 10/17/2001.

kaye
06-22-2002, 02:50 PM
Not acceptable that it is not signed and dated. I take it that there was also no included QuickBench results? I can't get anyone to answer my emails. Will check over the weekend but may have to wait until Monday. Will update here if I get a response. I've asked someone to join in here as well. k

mactheripper
06-22-2002, 06:41 PM
magician may be able to help.

http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/batlogo.gif Batsignal invoked to magician!

06-24-2002, 09:02 AM
If this helps, Greg is the one I sent it back to before when not all of the drives were booting up.

magician
06-24-2002, 10:24 AM
sorry for the late reply, i am here.

greg should be in within the next hour and a half, so i'll get him on the case. he handles all array builds, and should know all particulars about your specific array.

all Gurus arrays should have a stamp on the rear, w the name of the guy who built it and the date it was certified. Very few ever ship without it....and only if the tech just forgets or something. Very rare. I can't remember the last time it happened, but then i can't speak for greg. He'll know for sure what the deal is with this particular array. Your email to us here has been received, and forwarded over to deb for staffing. She'll back me up and have greg contact you as soon as he comes in.

hang in there! The cavalry is on the way.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

06-24-2002, 12:46 PM
Well, I think it's running, correctly, I hope, for now. It kept giving me errors this morning when I was trying to stripe them, saying that they were in use and couldn't be mounted or something, but then it all worked, and seems to be operating normally right now. I've been transferring non-essential files back and forth to check and it seems to be holding.

weenies
06-24-2002, 02:25 PM
The array was rock solid after it left here a few months back. All the usual included utilities and documents were included. Any Quickbench material must have been deleted in a initialization process because those benchmarks are always included.

If I forgot to stamp my name on the case, I am deeply apologetic. That is perhaps the first time I have failed to do that. Very sorry for any inconvenience.

-Greg.

06-24-2002, 05:37 PM
I don't know if it was stamped on the case or not, since I was asked if it ws on the invoice. :-)

I don't have any other paperwork that was shipped with the array, which doesn't mean it wasn't in there. I just don't have it now. I don't even recall being the one to unpack it.

No big thing, Greg, really....

Thanks for all the help, though, everyone. You guys are great.

mactheripper
06-25-2002, 01:21 PM
Kaye meant the back of the array, like the back of the enclosure, usually on the inside. Look for a MG sticker with Greg's name on it somewhere.

Not that you need to rip it apart to get this info. If it's working, don't mess with it...