PDA

View Full Version : Not enough power connectors?

NorbyWells
05-23-2002, 01:06 AM
I am trying to add three additional internal drives to a Dual Gig machine that currently has only the internal 80Gb ATA drive (factory installed). It also has the Iomega/Apple internal Zip 250 installed. I opened the case tonight to have a look see and it appears that there are only two available power connectors: one coiled up and dangling inside the case and the other which would feed a second drive stacked above the 80 Gb. I am not finding a third power connector.

Am I missing something? Do I need to purchase a "Y" splitter to convert the one dangling into two power sources? I was planning on installing my ATTO UL3D and the three drives this weekend but may not be able to unless I can locate another unused power connector inside the case or acquire a splitter in a real big hurry.

Seeking the knowledge of the Gurus.....

Norby

norbywells@mac.com

ricks
05-23-2002, 01:37 AM
Norby,

Ah, the brains at Apple. Set you up for a fall they did. Four drive positions, three power connectors.

You read it perfectly. You should have little trouble getting a 'Y' splitter, unless you live in the outback. Radio Shack even has them. Any uhhh, yeck, PC store will have them if you can stomach entering one of the evil places. Wear gloves.

Hope that's what you needed to hear. I know you'd rather just pull a hidden plug out that keeps you from getting one more part, but there it is.

Rick

NorbyWells
05-23-2002, 01:17 PM
ricks -

Thanks! That was what I expected to hear. I will hunt down the splitter I need and will be sure to wear gloves and hazmat suit as needed.

On a related note..... with three additional drives (Two 18 Gb Cheetahs X15's and one 36 Gb 10k Atlas III's) is there any chance of "overampin" the power supply? I hope not!

Norby

norbywells@mac.com

ricks
05-23-2002, 07:23 PM
Norby,

I guess there better not be a problem since I was running 5 drives in there for a while without that as a problem. I believe that Apple gave you enough juice for 4 drives, that's not backed up by me doing any math to see what the actual output vs. consumption from 4 drives. I've yet to hear of someone having a problem with the power supply on newer Macs, or older Macs for that matter. Apple seems to have limited problems coming from that direction pretty well.

Enjoy your new setup.

Rick

NorbyWells
05-24-2002, 12:17 AM
ricks -

Thanks for your thoughts. Glad to hear that potentially "taxing" the power supply is only a fear and has not been borne out by your experience.

I was able to purchase a "Y" power splitter at a nearby CompUSA - I took the hazmat suit off when walking through the Mac section. Actually a depressing sight.... all that wonderful Mac hardware and no living, breathing advocate. Most of the machines off or in some state of disarray. I always feel like some wandering healer as I check each machine, reboot as necessary, and do whatever I can to make the Mac department stand tall again.... even if it is only while I am there.

Enough drama..... with power splitter in hand, ATTO UL3D, three brand new SCSI drives, and cables direct from Granite (fingers crossed that they are arriving tomorrow - should have been today) I am building and configuring my speed demon this weekend. Stay tuned.......

Norby

norbywells@mac.com

NorbyWells
05-24-2002, 12:03 PM
ricks -

One last question - with the Dual Gig does it matter what PCI slot the Atto UL3D is installed in? I've seen the term "bus mastering" here in the Guru forums and that certain PCI slots were more desireable than others on some machines. Does this pertain to my situation?

Thanks again,

Norby

norbywells@mac.com

ricks
05-24-2002, 02:22 PM
Hey Norby,

First, we're all chanting mantras to help you get Santa in the brown suit there with your goodies for the long weekend! Good luck.

I have tested the UL3D in all the slots with no difference. I don't think it matters anymore. THat's a good thing since most PCI cards wnat to be a bus mastering card, always was a problem in pre-new world Macs that only had one or two bus masters, which card(s) do you want to give priority.

Sure glad Apple put that concept behind us.

Have fun this weekend. Keep an eye out for the truck!

Rick