PDA

View Full Version : Random raid thoughts

Damien
05-18-2002, 09:00 PM
I was thinking..... then I stopped immediately, that stuff can be dangerous!

Since the 9600 can boot from a software raid could an idiot....err I mean hardware tinkerer like me install OS X to a soft-raid and boot from it in a 9600 using Remple's XPostfacto?

(Somebody stop me.....no, yes no, yes NO)

------------------
Let me introduce myselves,
Damien
http://www.macmeisters.com/Damien/

[This message has been edited by Damien (edited 18 May 2002).]

ricks
05-19-2002, 01:46 AM
To all of you, yes Damien and his other selves,

If I have said it once, I've said it once, hahahaha, well, I've said it a bunch anyway: Don't boot OSX from a Software RAID. There, I said it to all of you Damiens.

OSX does a hugely significant amount of Housekeeping that accesses your boot drive constantly. The overhead from the RAID makes all those piddly little accesses very costly on the cpu. That was not the case in OS9 and earlier. This comes direct from folks at Apple who I trust to know what they're saying.

I have never figured out why we should want to boot from a RAID anyway. I have everything on my B&W on the Acard hardware RAID, it's the only drives in there. But that's it for booting from RAIDs. That's why I never try to help out when someone posts that they can't boot from their hot RAID, I've never tried it.

There, did I stop yous? Me thinks yous (plural) should go back to a single drive on yous 9600 and save the RAID for where yous needs the speed. Yes?

Rick

Damien
05-19-2002, 11:51 PM
Well we are not sure if you have convinced us or not. You see we consider this 9600 our plaything and guinia (sp?) pig so, much like your B&W, we LIKE doing dangerous things with it....

Besides why would we need another raid on out 733?

TZ
05-20-2002, 09:45 AM
OS X likes to wipe out SoftRAID drivers and insert its own http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif talk to Mark but if you want to go that route, like to play with fire, I'd try ATTO ExpressStripe (though they've over priced it now to $99 rather than the "intro beta price $29" they had) and create a striped RAID.... except that the extension to enable and mount ExpressStripe has to be loaded.... you'd have to boot from a floppy probably!

Booting OS X off RAID can only be done the PCI IDE HARD RAID method it seems.

Gregory

ricks
05-20-2002, 10:47 AM
Haahahha,

I can see it now. "extension to enable and mount ExpressStripe has to be loaded.... you'd have to boot from a floppy probably!

Damien'll be sayin, "It takes a half hour and three floppy's but I DO BOOT from my RAID" http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/tongue.gif

I love it.

If you do get it going I'm going to nominate you for Mayor or somethin.

Rick

Damien
05-20-2002, 01:26 PM
Since I have ripped the floppy out by it outdated archaic roots and thrown it deep into my pit of old scsi stuff, I think we won't be seeing it for a long LONG time

However I might be able to use CarbonCopy Cloner to do that job

Or boot from my iPod .....BWAHAHAHA! I have to try that just to say I did! Yeah boot 10.1 from my iPod and clone it to my raid!!!

(help me please! )

[This message has been edited by Damien (edited 20 May 2002).]