PDA

View Full Version : Cannot boot external array.

CushMacs
05-17-2002, 05:55 PM
8600/200, XLR8 Carrier ZIF G3/400 (8X), 640 RAM (interleaved, VM off), OS 9.1, Built-in video and iXMicro ix3D UltimateRez 8MB PCI in slot C1 each driving Apple Studio Displays (the legasy ones), Miles2 SCSI card in slot A1, 2 internal Fujitsu 18 GB LVD drives (Model# MAH3182MP, Revision# 0115) RAID 0, SoftRaid 2.2.2 drivers. I added 2 identical drives (also RAID 0) in a Burly-type case from OWC (sorry). I cannot boot when the external array is turned on. I cannot restart using the ext. array either, although I can choose it in the Startup Disk CP. SCSI IDs on bus 2 (Miles) are 0 and 1 for the internals and 2 and 3 for the externals. The active terminator on the outside of the external case glows steadily and brightly. I can mount the array using SoftRaid, transfer files to it and can use the files. I simply cannot figure this out. Any ideas? TIA. Seth Wissner

TZ
05-18-2002, 08:25 AM
Seth,

Can you swap the cables and terminators with others to see if those are implicated? Sure sounds like they might.

Gregory

CushMacs
05-18-2002, 01:07 PM
Thank you for the timely reply. I suspected the same. I don't have other cables to try so I'll swap the external drives with the internals, when time permits. One other question: Is the terminator which ships with the Miles2 active? Regards. Seth

TZ
05-18-2002, 02:48 PM
Before you go through the work of swapping drives, just make sure everything is seated properly, no loose ends. I thought I had a flaky terminator (and yes, the Miles2 kit would have an active LVD/SE I'm sure but never bought one). Took it off, looked for bent pin, dust, cat hair, etc. swapped with another terminator, then back again - and it worked!

I found a place with really hardy cables (internal) that come with heavy plastic wrap. Much like the twisted-flat style only heavier gauge and Ultra320 rated. I was looking because TWO granite style are causing trouble and can't see the drives when I use either. I felt it must be bad controller. So i bought another. Or terminator. Or bent loose or broken pin. You can also buy the Miles2 cable/terminator. In my situation, using my drives in external enclosures has been more reliable: better cooling, power, time to warm up before hand, unlikely to have an accident where opening the Mac case will accidentally cause a cable or cord to come loose.

What I did learn in the last year that every time I take apart, move, exchange drives, swap between internal and external... on and on testing, increases the likelihood of something going array.

Gregory

CushMacs
05-18-2002, 03:09 PM
Thanks again. I'll repost as things develop. Regards. Seth