PDA

View Full Version : ASIP to OS X Server migration question

rocrusso
01-24-2002, 05:39 PM
I am running ASIP with an ATTO card and using SoftRaid 2.2.2 to stripe my server drives....

things are running fine but am anxious to get to OS X Server for a few different reasons and here is my question:

from what i understand, i CANNOT upgrade to OS X Server and keep my drives the way they are (ie: not wiping and restriping them in X) until SoftRaid comes out with an OS X version, correct?

i dont have the "extra" 160gb lying around to take off the data, restripe them in X and put the files back on....

let me know if i need to supply more information to give and answer/advice and thanks in advance!

rocco

Damien
01-25-2002, 06:56 AM
i CANNOT upgrade to OS X Server and keep my drives the way they are

This is true as Softraid does not yet support X However the Softraid ppl are saying sometime in Feb so you may want to wait til they ship.

Doc
05-10-2002, 11:54 AM
here's a follow up question - I may be in a slightly better situation... I'm going to migrate from ASIP to OS X but I'm also moving from a G3 upgraded 7300 to a 533DA box that I just built up...

The original ASIP server has a Miles2 card that is driving a SoftRAID formatted array (comprising 2 x 2 x 36 GB drives - set up as two separate RAID 1 volumes) and a separate hardware RAID 500 GB - Atto formatted)

Now - I'd like to move the whole thing over to the G4 but I suspect that it may be simpler to get a new card and just move the Hardware RAID - I'd then keep the other server running as a backup or additional lab LAN server...

Opinions? - Which card should I now put in the G4 (UL3D)? - the G4 will be running OS X Server as well as WebObjects.

I'm leaning that way at the moment....

Chris