PDA

View Full Version : slow throughputs

sdavisj
04-18-2002, 09:43 AM
The set up: G4 450 DP "Sawtooth", 256Mb RAM, Initio Miles2 SCSI card, two ATI Rage 128 graphics cards, Aurora IgniterRT video card, DVD RAM drive, Zip drive, SoftRaid 2.2.2, 36G cheetahs (3), Granite cable, 2 drives mounted internaly one externaly in burly enclosure.

The problem: Using Igniters benchmark program I can only get 19.5Mb/s read and write and only 15Mb/s system throughput. Benchmarking my partitioned ATA drive yields over 20Mb/s results.

Is there a bottleneck somewhere. This setup should yield blazing results but doesn't. How do I get the system working right?

Thanks. Scott

ricks
04-18-2002, 11:13 AM
Scott,

Download from attotech.com their free ExpressProTools utility and use it to test your drives if you would. Run it with sample size set to 8 mb. We all use the larger size so it's easier to compare apples to apples so to speak.

Check your Miles2 Firmware version (Apple System Profiler). Carefully read the upgrade information at Initio and decide if you need to flash the rom on the card. If you goto Initio.com, navigate to support and then hit the downloads button at the top of the support page it will take you to the correct page. (Kaye is out of town until next week , he is our Miles2 expert among other things)

No RAID? If not then I guess you used SoftRAID for drivers, that typically is the fastest drivers in the drives I've tested. You didn't do any mode page changes with SoftRAID on the drives,(?) so they should be at default settings.

OS9.1? Any OSX use?

Try the ATTO bench program and let me know what you get from your drives, including the ATA if you would. I'd also expect higher performance from your setup.

Rick

ricks
04-18-2002, 11:58 AM
Scott,

After I posted I remembered that you were setting up this as a RAID0 with the Cheetahs. Is the RAID striped across all three of the Cheetahs? And you're getting under 20MB/sec? Woof.

Check the ATTO numbers if you would, there's definately something needs configuring somewhere.

Rick

sdavisj
04-18-2002, 10:48 PM
Yes, I used SoftRaid to do a full initialization on all three of the drives, then instaled the drivers using the default settings on each drive, and then set up three volumes, each volume being striped across the three drives equaly. I have a question. I was looking at the ID's of all SCSI devices. The SCSI bus is set at ID 0 my three drives are set at 0,3, and 7. Is this an ID conflict. I have no problem with the drive being recognized just slow throughput. I will download the ATTO tool and test it in the next couple of days.

I am running OS 9.1

Thanks, Scott

Thanks, Scott

ricks
04-18-2002, 10:58 PM
Scott,
Ahh, ID#7. Reserved for the host card. You should use 0 through 6 and 8 through 15. Typically just 0 through6 is sufficient.

I have never seen the bus set at 0, only at 7. Did you change it?

Rick

[This message has been edited by ricks (edited 19 April 2002).]

ricks
04-18-2002, 11:16 PM
Scott, forgot to say, yes, that's a conflict. The host card is considered one of the devices. You need to change things around so it has it's own ID and the drives are different. Preferably ID7 for the card and 0 through 6 for the drives.

Rick

Damien
04-19-2002, 05:24 AM
I have never seen the bus set at 0, only at 7. Did you change it?

The card should be ID 7 but even at that the bus will still identify itself to your system as bus 0

I have a feeling that you have a card and a drive both set at ID 7

sdavisj
04-30-2002, 09:28 PM
Now I have made some changes. Moved all drives to external enclosure with TPO ribbon. Reinitalized all drives and reinstalled SoftRaid drivers changing mode parameters to 512 as per the SoftRaid guid for a 4 volume Raid 0. Created 4 equaly sized volumes. Opened Smart SCSI and set throughput at 26.6 as per Aurora Igniter Read Me. Ran ATTO benchmark program as per Rick. Got: Peak Reads of 19.68, Peak Writes of 23.45 Sust Read of 19.60 sust write of 18.74. Reopened Smart SCSI and set at 40 throughput and rebooted and retested. Got Peaks and Sust in the upper 30's. Now this should be good enough for Uncompressed capture and playback (uncompressed needs 20480 sust throughput) Ope4ned up FCP captured uncompressed with no droped frames. Played back with none either. Went to try it on another clip and boom droped frames. What gives? I am at the end of my rope. This set up should give me more than adequate throughput but doesn't. I don't know were to go from here.

Scott