PDA

View Full Version : UW to LVD Backplane Question...

HapHazard
04-05-2002, 02:30 AM
Went on down to my favorite electronic surplus house and found a nice HP "Disk System" 5 SCSI drive enclosure with backplane, monsterous power supply, wind-tunnel strength fans, etc. I took it home http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

It has no drives and was originally set up for UW SE SCSI. The drive trays, if I had any, would plug into the backplane using 96 pin DIN connectors. I'm hoping to take advantage of those cheap SCA drives without using the dreaded 80 to 68 pin adapters, although buying the trays plus the drives may make my savings minimal.

I need to know if that 96 pin connector is a standard for this sort of thing. Maybe just for HP equipment? I need to get trays to mount the drives and I've really never dealt with a backplane.

Also, the terminator and cableing are obviously SE. If I change them out (looks easy to do) will the backplane itself be able to work with LVD drives? I don't know if backplanes are specifically designed for SE or LVD applications. If the backplane is not LVD capable, I'll remove it and use the enclosure/power supply/fans with 68 pin drives and LVD cableing.

BTW an extensive search of HP's site turned up no infomation on the unit I have.

Thanks - Hap

ricks
04-05-2002, 11:51 AM
Hap,

You should get some number of hours of good dirty fun out of that box. Sounds like fun.

A backplane is just a place where cabling switches from internal to external. You will not easily find a way to use SCA drives properly, you can use 68pin LVD stuff without any real problems.

Just wait until you see the costs though of 68pin LVD cabling. You will need to purchase an internal cable that has a panel mount on both ends for the backplane. The panel mounts will connect to incoming external data cable and terminator via most likely 68pin MicroD connectors. These mount via a couple of slots on the back panel, no big deal except the slots will have to be the right size for the connectors to fit.

With LVD, the cheapest thing is the enclosure. Cables and termination is most of the cost. When all is said and done I think you'll find that using a new enclosure is actually more cost effective. You will have fun figuring it out though.

Rick