PDA

View Full Version : erious RAID problems w/ 9.1 and SoftRAID 2.2.2

TaxiDriver
03-31-2002, 09:01 PM
Configuration:

PowerTower Pro 225, 832MB FPM RAM (6 x 128 matched/interleaved, 64MB not), OS 9.1, 2 x 9GB Seagate Cheetah 10K ST39102LW, 45GB Maxtor 100ATA, 2GB IBM (internal bus), Jaz and Zip (external bus), Initio U2W Miles (PCI 1), Voodoo5 64MB (PCI 2), Macally 10/100 Ethernet (PCI 3), Sonnet Tempo ATA66 IDE (PCI 4), Macally FW/USB (PCI 5), 32MB Voodoo4 (PCI 6).

I'm trying to establish a boot RAID on the 2 9GB Cheetahs, and I'm having massive problems switching over. I did read through various posts on what looks like the same issue, but I'm not sure that there's a solution that works. I'm going to try and dig out the Startup CP from 9.04, and look and get the firmware upgrade for the Miles2.

If I try to boot from the 9.1 CD with the LVD connected to the RAID array, I get a blank floppy icon, not even a flashing question mark. If I reset the PRAM, I wind up unable to boot, even if I ditch the RAID connection. So far I've been working on this since before noon, and I'm about ready to shriek.

Please, please, somebody say something, even if it's to tell me that there's an open window!

TZ
04-01-2002, 06:36 PM
It's open, but don't!

Zap pram erases information stored in nvram and startup disk 9.2.1 part of 9.1 should reset the path for booting - at least in Macs with open firmware. The "?" is an "unable to locate the blessed system" when it looks. Can also be the result of a problem with the boot blocks which Disk Warrior can repair.

There is so much going on in there normally plus scsi and termination, firmware, voodoo on top of voodoo, any of which can add to the complexity. Two PCI bridges, 6 slots... so yea, a 6-shooter might make you want to, but don't! One at a time? Try with just a minimal and get the boot going then add or reinstall from there??? Disconnect all but the RAID stuff?

I added a 2nd controller and it took 6 hrs to find out I have a bad PCI slot in my B&W. I don't know how to troubleshoot PTP (obviously) but is there a an open firmware? Can you do the commmand + option + OF?

TaxiDriver
04-01-2002, 07:29 PM
Okay. We're now back down to 8.6 and it still isn't letting me boot with the LVD chain in place. I still haven't backed the firmware down from the latest and greatest yet, though. I'm wondering if that will make a difference. It still won't let me boot from the CD, either, if the LVDs are in place -- I get a blank floppy icon still, not even a question mark. I've even tried the stupid stunt of letting it get through the front part of the boot and then hooking up the LVD chain. One more thing that I might try is pulling the Cheetahs off the chain and placing a 68-to-50 pin adapter on them and clearing them off of anything they might have through the plain jane SCSI and then trying everything again. I'm about an hour from tearing it apart and finding a bare-bones 9600/350 and trying again!

TaxiDriver
04-01-2002, 08:09 PM
Okay, now we've reflashed the card back to 1.05 or whatever, and it's still no good. If there are any RAID Gurus about I surely would appreciate your two cents, 'coz I'm about to start parting it out with a blow torch, pliers, and an axe.

ChrisYip
04-01-2002, 11:08 PM
Hi...

Whoa - sounds like a mess...

I've got a PTP 225 w/ an XLR5 G3/500 running 9.1 w/ Miles2 and a couple of 18 GB Cheetah's (or 'Cudas), a Radeon, MachFire and a DualPort card and it seems to run quite well...

Suggestions - some of which you will have likely tried

I think the problem MIGHT be that your PTP CD-ROM needs the right extension to boot since it's not an Apple CD-ROM drive. So, the problem then is that your machine is trying to boot and the only thing it (more or less) sees is your LVD array and nothing else.

Sorry if this sounds silly but have you tried booting up like normal, then use the SoftRAID software to set up your LVD arrays?. Then - put the 9.1 CD-ROM in your CD-ROM (and without rebooting), install the 9.1 software onto the RAID.

Double check your Startup Control panel and make sure it's pointed now to the RAID array and give it a try again...

Chris

TaxiDriver
04-01-2002, 11:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Hi...
Whoa - sounds like a mess...

I've got a PTP 225 w/ an XLR5 G3/500 running 9.1 w/ Miles2 and a couple of 18 GB Cheetah's (or 'Cudas), a Radeon, MachFire and a DualPort card and it seems to run quite well...

Suggestions - some of which you will have likely tried

I think the problem MIGHT be that your PTP CD-ROM needs the right extension to boot since it's not an Apple CD-ROM drive. So, the problem then is that your machine is trying to boot and the only thing it (more or less) sees is your LVD array and nothing else.

Sorry if this sounds silly but have you tried booting up like normal, then use the SoftRAID software to set up your LVD arrays?. Then - put the 9.1 CD-ROM in your CD-ROM (and without rebooting), install the 9.1 software onto the RAID.

Double check your Startup Control panel and make sure it's pointed now to the RAID array and give it a try again...

Chris<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The CD-ROM is a 24X Apple ROM. If I try to boot up from a "normal" SCSI drive with the LVD chain hooked into the Miles2 I get a hung boot. If I try to boot from the CD-ROM with the LVD chain in place, I get a blank floppy icon on the boot. Nothing is working right. Nothing. And it all started when I attempted to set up a 3-drive RAID and discovered that the one drive was not he same as the other two. I've been doing some reading and it is evident that 9.1 is incompatible with SoftRAID 2.2.2 in some situations... at this point I've been working on this mess since Saturday afternoon, and I'm tired of the whole thing. Unfortunately, I need that machine up and running ASAP, so I can't just pitch it out a window as much as I'd like to do so.

[This message has been edited by TaxiDriver (edited 01 April 2002).]

drallen
04-03-2002, 10:52 PM
Taxidriver,

I just had the same problem on my PowerCenter G3500 I'm hotrodding for my nephews. I hooked up three 10K RPM Cheetahs up to a Miles U2W card running 9.1. and got a hung boot every time. I was running firmware 1.05. I flashed to the 1.06 beta and every thing is now running fine. Have your tried this? Also have you checked you SCSI IDs?

Hope this helps...

Mark