PDA

View Full Version : disc repair on an OS X RAID 1?

unclemac
03-27-2002, 01:21 AM
I just set up a a G4 466 with a RAID mirror via OS 10.1.3. Everthing is working well, but here is my question:

Since you cannot see (mount) a RAID array created with OS X when booting to OS 9.x, and all of my utilities of choice (DW2.1, DD 6.0.3, and TT 3.0.4) cannot see the RAID either, how can I diagnose or repair the array?

details:

Č´G4 466
Č´Boot drive: OS 10.1.3 on factoy Maxtor ATA
Č´Raid array: Genuine MacGuru SCSI(ATTO UL3S, 2 15x Cheeths, Granite cable/terminator)

Any ideas - other than waiting for OS X native utilities? Thanks in advance. . .

[This message has been edited by newbie (edited 27 March 2002).]

TZ
03-27-2002, 06:10 AM
Norton SystemWorks 2.0 has started shipping which has native Disk Warrior Recovery, Norton Utilities. Upgrade is $79. Disk Utility and a good backup. I run backups using CarbonCopy Cloner (1.2) which is fast and works very well to backup system and data.

The wait is over (except for SoftRAID)!

unclemac
03-27-2002, 02:41 PM
Cool. . . how did I miss all that ?! http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

Disc Warrior on a Norton Product? The end must be near. Just checked their site and the "Recovery" is a lite version; did not see any info on a full version (I love DW) . Hope this is not the end of Alsoft . .

Anybody actually use Systemworks on X? Good, bad, or ugly? Although I have had good luck with DD 6.0.3, some earlier versions did not thrill me. Since I don't really know where everything is/should be in X yet, my biggest fear is a sketchy utility.

Thanks Gregory - I can't keep up with all the OSX info around these forums lately. I don't know how you guys do it, but keep doing it.

TZ
03-28-2002, 07:15 AM
I agree it is 'weird' to see Disk Warrior "lite"

Check out what Alsoft has to say about the two versions: http://www.alsoftinc.com/DiskWarrior/dwvsdwre.html

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> "allows you to copy inaccessible files from a disk with a damaged directory to another disk. After you complete the recovery process, your disk will still be in its original damaged state. To recover your files without having to copy them to another disk, you can upgrade to the full version of Alsoft DiskWarrior. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wish MacTools Deluxe by Central Point Software (and 1st Aid Software, 1st Aid Kit had a GREAT manual worth the $105, a utility that MACazine praised because the manual was so thorough and helpful) were still around. 1st Aid Software didn't like have to keep updating and keeping up with changes. They had 1st Aid AntiVirus - but gave up when viruses 'mutated.' 1989. Full of promise.

Now we have MicroMat and Symantec basically. And Drive10 fell on its face for me. DW + Norton has proven reliable. Symantec had to improve - and they did, but after two failed versions it's hard to shake off and recapture customer confidence, which is 100% essential in a disk utility. Even if they have bought out and killed most of the competition.

Gregory

[This message has been edited by Gregory (edited 28 March 2002).]