PDA

View Full Version : FWB raid vs. Softraid

glen
03-13-2002, 03:55 PM
Any idea why Softraid is considered better than HDT raid format?
Is there any benchmark data to support this?
thanks

TZ
03-13-2002, 04:19 PM
I think if you search through forums, www.xlr8yourmac.com (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com) and other fora, FWB has only recently been certified for 9.1 (maybe not 9.2.2), but NOT for OS X. SoftRAID for OS X isn't due for 4-6 weeks, but 2.2.2 works and has worked with 9.1 to current 9.2.2+, and is what others have to try to measure up to. I keep FWB (4.5.2) only for the FWB Configure and odd jobs like deleting a partition or something.

Somehow I don't think HDT made the transition to hfs+ as well as it could and has always been late to the table with drivers for a new OS; had only generic support when new Ultra160 drives came out. Even Drive Setup 2.0.7 (and especially Disk Utility X) have good driver support.

ricks
03-13-2002, 07:17 PM
Glen,

I've tried both. One problem with FWB is that most of my benchmarking utilities don't work with FWB. FWB has always done a good job making their product not get along wih others. Also can be hard to get rid of their drivers once they're installed. Have never figured out how to benchmark FWB RAIDs with the same benchmark programs as I use for SoftRAID RAIDs, and comparing apples to apples using scales that are in different measuring methods just doesn't give good data.

So I really don't know for sure that FWB isn't faster than SoftRAID I guess. I just refuse to rely on FWBs benchtest since it won't test anyone elses RAID either.

Rick