PDA

View Full Version : ATTO posts firmware, ExpressStripe OS 9

TZ
02-06-2002, 08:40 AM
I just learned that the OS 9 extension for ExpressStripe was posted by ATTO. checking around, I see the 1.66 firmware also (but never received word it was posted which I was expecting and waiting for).

I can now use my ExpressStripe RAID0 under OS 9 as well as X.1.

Gregory

TZ
02-07-2002, 11:23 AM
I tried today to boot off the UL3S with the new firmware 1.66. It would not. Drives that showed up before did not.

NO ID conflict or anything easy. All drives even on different cards etc have unique ID, no bent pins, etc. Everything works fine booting off 2940u2b.

Only the ATTO RAID0 (using ExpressStripe) works and shows on that card.

Maybe ATTO conflicts with Apple's drivers, OS 9.2.1 (confirmed on this system only), and now OS X 10.1 (difference in how they treat and deal with volumes).

With Apple's OS X RAID, you see the two drives, and you see a new entry of the RAID volume in the list in Disk Utility. You can only have one volume RAID, either mirror or stripe, that uses the entire drives selected.

With ExpressStripe you see the volume(s) in the RAID as "owned" by the first drive of the set.

Would be interesting to format a single volume drive using ExpressStripe and see what happens with that drive. But I get TIRED of all this crap. Shrink wrap beta "1.0" thrown at and sold to users. Or having to "buyer beware" of all the ins/outs of each Mac, of each product, of each card they buy and install.

I spent $1200 on a two drive RAID that cannot be said to "work" as it doesn't improve performance over single drive, trouble booting etc.

I had to use TechTool Lite to zap the pram and then clear openfirmware to its defaults. My next step: to try to return the ATTO card (literally) or to reset it to its defaults (firmware and settings, as updates to firmware leave some parameters on the board - in ROM?).

At least ExpressStripe RAID now shows up in OS 9. That works fine.

But if Apple And ATTO disagree over drivers, support, etc. it's gonna be bumpy.

Gregory

TZ
02-07-2002, 08:12 PM
When I tried to use an ExpressRAID on UL3S (firmware 1.66) in 7300 running 9.1 w/ the new OS 9 Enblr - it would freeze and lock up at times.

Disk Warrior had trouble. Finder said "may have lost data" etc. And Norton DD said that "HFS partition is incorrectly labelled. The Driver Descriptor map and Partition Map...." Twice. When I tried to view reports NDD locked up. When I rebooted I had to initialize the two "owner volumes" of the RAID0.

A RAID setup that is suppose to work in OS 9 (9.1 here), means to 99% of users that disk utilities like DW and Norton will also work and have valid (Apple) partition labels etc. These apparently do not.

And RAID performance? If you have two drives that are 40MB+ performance, (Cheetah 10 & 15K, Atlas 10k II & III) there is ZERO benefit or performance benefit! Not in my B&W. Not in 7300. Of course Miles2 I don't have but might want to trade except everyone knows this has to be the buggiest board in the world.

Don't trust your data to ExpressStripe quite yet.

Gregory

02-25-2002, 01:14 AM
I hate it when I come to a message board and see someone reply to themselves over and over again.

Not an interesting topic maybe...or did realizing that no one listens to your sensless jibber jabber?

------------------
messageboard morons...all of ya.

Damien
02-25-2002, 04:12 PM
Not sensless at all

Good info here but nothing that really needs a reply

Louie
02-25-2002, 05:26 PM
ImTheMacDaddy:

Calling members of this forum "morons" is unacceptable! You have been banished from these forums.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 25 February 2002).]

gmidd
02-25-2002, 09:55 PM
Gregory, thank you for all your research and testing......all that stuff on OF and CCC/ OSX is incredibly helpful. It's folks like you that help give novices like me half a chance at mastering our computers- http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/tinymacos.gif

ricks
02-25-2002, 10:32 PM
Right on George. My knowledge of things X has been increased by untold amounts because of the postings from Gregory. Gregorys ability to research things that most of don't have the patience (in my case ability) to find has really been impressive.

Thanks Gregory.

Rick

TZ
02-26-2002, 02:33 PM
Thanks! I appreciate your comments and support.

MacFixit had a note that 10.1.3 'broke' ExpressStripe raid0, in case anyone had any lingering interest. www.macfixit.com (http://www.macfixit.com)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Atto Express Stripe 1.0
A reader reports that the update rendered his 2 drive disk array invisible to the OS. The reader offers: "I recently formatted my external drives with Atto Express Stripe 1.0 on my G4. Along with the OS 9 compatibility extension, it allowed my 340 GBSCSI array to appear in both OS 9 and OS X. However as soon as I updated OS X 10.1.2 to 10.1.3 the entire array disappeared in both OS's. No repair utility could find it. Luckily I had just backed up. Reformatted with Express Stripe and reinstalled files and all is good." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

unclemac
02-27-2002, 12:38 PM
Gregory: Can I second that support?

I watch these forums, and espescially these kinds of posts on a daily basis. And then I come back a couple of times to try to actually absorb and retain. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

They have dug me out of ( and kept me from getting into) nightmares that I could not have survived on my own. I am sure the same is true for untold others.

Speaking for the technically challenged, just because I/we don't reply does not mean that nobody is watching and learning. Keep it up.

magician
03-01-2002, 08:52 AM
sweet.

this last post, and the thread, made my day.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

OzarkMtn
03-02-2002, 07:19 AM
I have a QS DP800 running OS 10.1.3. I have 2 Atlas 10K II drives with the ATTO UL3D. I have been running ExpressStripe since it's release and use the OS9 extension as well.

The 10.1.3 update did not "break" my ExpressStripe Raid.

brad_owens
03-09-2002, 03:17 PM
Hi, there is statement on the ATTO scsi page that refers to using ExpressRAID instead of SoftRAID. Anyone know why? I already have SoftRAID and don't want to buy another form of this software unless I have to.

Here's the statement:
If you are installing Ultra160 Cheetahs in a "New World" Power Macintosh (Yosemite, Yikes, or Sawtooth, including dual-G4 Sawtooth), a 64-bit ATTO board will deliver superior performance, damn the cost. Remember that you will need to purchase internal cables and terminators with an ATTO board, if you are installing internally. If you are installing externally, you may want to purchase the "RAID Kit" version of your chosen ATTO board, and substitute ExpressRAID for SoftRAID and the ATTO cables for the Granite Digital cables which we sell.

from: http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart/showrampage.cgi?attoboards.html

----------
thanks,

brad

TZ
03-09-2002, 04:07 PM
brad,

Stick with your SoftRAID http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Hopefully the OS X version will be out and I'd stick with it. For some, the cost of all the parts is an obstacle. Still, I'd like to see that statement edited out too.

I got annoyed when I was 'informed' not to run Disk Warrior on ExpressStripe in OS 9 and was asked to do even more testing.

I've been waiting to see if they change prices on the UL3 series if or when the UL4 comes out which offers full Ultra320.

If you have a Blue G3, there is a real problem limiting performance. Later G4's can take better advantage of the UL3D.