PDA

View Full Version : how to identify a burly?

Damien
03-01-2002, 01:07 PM
Hi all,

How do you identify a burly? I have what appears to be a MAP-5041 Burly but with 68 pin LVD cabling. I believe that this cabling has been added to a 5041 50 pin Burly because the ID Switches are for narrow drives (only 7 ID's 0-6)

I can find no part # or brand name on it anywhere. The picture on the enclosures page here at the gurus looks identical though.

Got this on ebay for 88$

Description of my case: All steel (except for the front bezel) 15x7x10.5 inches 4 5.25" bays The bezel has the same hole pattern below the bay covers, the same "wave" design, the same power button and the same stack of 4 activity lights and one power light just like the burly.

on the rear it has 2 HDI68 pin connectors (2 channel I checked!) 2 punch outs for 2 more connectors The 68 pin connectors are horizontal but the other punchouts are vertical. It has a PS fan a PS switch (115/220) and a PS in & out power connector. It has 2 vertical sets of RCA jacks. 4 ID selectors that require a very small pointed object to switch. It also has another case fan. Both the case fan and the PS fan are Sunon fans.

Inside it has all the connections for the activity lights, ID selectors and RCA's. It has 4 molex and off one of these it has a mini molex. . The 68 pin cables are twisted pair and both cables are independant from the other and have 2 drive connectors each and a third connector with a plug in multimode terminator hanging off it. The cables are orange & white and say amphenol. The PS is an MAPOWER 250watt supply.
(MAPower.....MAP 5041 hhmmmmm....)

It has large rubber feet that appear to be an "added later" item as there are smaller feet on the case.

Oh yeah it is heavy and very well built.

I am about 85% sure that this is a "true" burly but would like to be sure for bragging rights http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Even if it isn't I am well pleased with it.

Damien

ricks
03-01-2002, 01:57 PM
Hey Damien,

Good find, sounds the same as mine except the added feets. Mine has a round green HiPot Inspectors sticker on the back just below the I/O knockouts.

Rick

kaye
03-01-2002, 01:57 PM
Damien,

Had to go find my 8-bay Burly shipping box. Here is the manufacturer http://www.mapower.com/storage.htm

Anyway, sounds like you have exactly what you thought. k

Damien
03-01-2002, 02:26 PM
SWEET!

Thanks for the link Kaye

Ricks I too have the Hipot stickers

That clinches it! I am a Burly owner!

have to get more cheetahs now.... and ultimate coolers and a UL3S sigh..there goes all my $

Damien
03-01-2002, 06:44 PM
Well I placed the order (2 X15's 4 Ult coolers and a UL3S) Deb the Office Goddess has arranged a Saturday delivery for me so tomorrow I shall be building a 4 x 18gig X15 Burly with 4 Ult Coolers connected in 2 channels to a UL3D ATTO card. The UL3S is for my boot drive (74 gig U160 Cheetah 10K) http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/dance.gif

I can hardly wait! I have nearly soiled myself already

kaye
03-01-2002, 06:57 PM
Damn, next day Saturday delivery, you are in a hurry. BTW, I'm whispering so you don't almost soil yourself again. What machine will you be attaching the Burly to? k

Damien
03-01-2002, 07:23 PM
G4 733 Digital Audio 768MB of ram

This burly Raid is to be my video capture drive

Gotta go buy Express Stripe though because I have NO OS X benchmarking utils....more $ going byebye

kaye
03-01-2002, 07:59 PM
So far ExpressStripe for OSX will only bench reads, not writes. I read a rather long explanation why but my eyes glazed over. You might want to wait for v1.01. I also wonder whether my v1.0 will be upgradeable without further expense.

I have not tried my RAID with ExpressStripe for OSX. Others, I believe, have said that it is not ready for primetime. I don't know. Striped SoftRAID drives won't show up in OSX as I recall. k

[This message has been edited by kaye (edited 01 March 2002).]

Damien
03-01-2002, 09:02 PM
I guess I will wait then. I really only want it for a bench marking util. It would be nice to have a raid for OS 9 AND OS X but like you I hear it's beta software and I rarely boot OS 9 anymore. So far OS X's raid functionality has done the job just fine but I will lay $$ down that Softraid is faster...should it ever get here

ricks
03-01-2002, 09:04 PM
Damien,

Go ahead, cut loose. That setups goin to ROCK. Keep a diaper handy at all times. And keep your arms inside the ride at all times.

I am in the same boat as you. I have a UL3D hooked to 2 channels of drives in the Burly. Ouch on the cable costs but who wants cheap cables to screw up the only really important part of the computer, the data. My problem is that there are no good RAID solutions for OSX yet.

I will have two 4 drive raid0 stripes across the top of the drives for Photoshop scratch, and then I will stripe the rest in 2 pairs and mirror the pairs for protection. This is pure SoftRAID easy street in OS9, impossible in OSX with any reliability,.......YET.

I am waiting and just playing with the drives until SoftRAID (and for that matter, Photoshop) comes out. Hope you can handle it. Waiting sucks bad air.

Rick

PS, have fun building your Burly up, the Roll your own RAID guide that Magician put together is a work of art and will help with any questions you might have.

ricks
03-01-2002, 09:46 PM
Hey Damien,

I have a Demo copy of ExpressStripe that you can have if you want it. I bought the full version and don't need this one. I sent you an email.

Rick

Damien
03-01-2002, 09:50 PM
THANKS Rick

http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/dance.gif <- I love this guy

(check your mail)

Damien
03-02-2002, 03:11 PM
Well It's here!

My stuff was delivered just before 10am and I have been building since and I am now done!

I read the entire Roll Your Own Raid last night even though I have been building small, slow raids into old PC cases for several years, I did learn a few things. (you know about those redneck raids? all your old scsi drives laying around.. all different speeds, sizes, makers, 80 pin 68 pin AND 50 pin all on a 50 pin bus with many adapters...shove them in a PC case and pray...)

I chose not to connect the ID switches due to them being narrow (7 ID) switches. I also did not use the RCA's due to no CD's in the case.

I had 3 "gotchas"

1 When moving the boot drive from the UL3D to the UL3S I got the dreaded blinking ?. I kinda expected this but it blinked forever and I had to reboot with the option key to force a bus scan. Then when booted reset the startup disk in the prefs.

2 It seems that Kensington Mouseworks for OS X hard links something to the physical address of the boot drive. When I moved my boot drive and booted up I could no longer click anything! Had to dig out the Apple mouse and disable Kensington startup and then reinstall the entire Kens. application.

3 Had a drive activity light not working on my first Burly power up test. Had to remove a drive only to find out I had reversed the wires (DOH')

So I have a working 4 x 18gig X15 Burly Raid! With 4 Ult Hard Drive coolers on a dedicated 2 channel ATTO card.Bring on the video!

It is not as loud as I expected with 10 fans. Although I can't really say that it's quiet either.. :-)

Those Ultimate HD Coolers are highly impressive!

Damien
03-07-2002, 12:53 AM
It must be psychological.....

Even though My mac 733 and the B&W 350 before that both ran very well anytime I did something that I knew was going to stress my Mac I was concerned due to having this conception that ATA was that cheap and limited PC stuff that Apple is using to lower prices on the Macs.

Beginning my Mac association on all scsi based Macs I was leery of ata. When I was forced to go ATA I must admit that they all performed perfectly. (even the 75GXP Deathstar that came in my G4)

but now that I am all scsi based again I have a feeling of relief.....

It goes without saying that I AM completely nutz! http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/tongue.gif

BTW Ricks
I use my raid for video capture only so I have one http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/phat.gif volume so OS X raiding works well for me. I still am looking forward to Softraid though.

[This message has been edited by Damien (edited 06 March 2002).]

ricks
03-07-2002, 02:10 AM
Hey D,

Due to financial constraints I just today recieved the last of the cables for my 4 bay Burlybox. Finally got all 4 AtlasIIIs inside, that is not a chore for the hyper excitable. I am back 'playing' with 4 bad boys that kick butt and I still can't get serious until SoftRAID and Photoshop7. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Such is life.

It was very hard for me to get those darn PC parts in my Mac when I first opened the new G4 last summer, first ATA device I'd ever owned. First post I ever made to this forum was complaining that there was a conspiracy and someone snuck a wintel part into my nice new mac.

Happily I have had very good results from the IBM 60GXP drives, went so far as to buy a couple ATA133 Hardraid cards for my 2 computers. They work great.

But the very first thing I did the day I bought my Quicksilver, before I ever even plugged it in, I installed 2 Cheetahs and a ATTO UL3D that I had bought for it 3 months before I bought the G4. I know from where you speak. Couldn't even believe that I was taking the time to learn what a ATA drive was.

Wouldn't want to give up either now.

Sure is nice to hear you got a great deal on your Burly and are up and running. Let us know how she flies.

Last, when doing your capture thing, do you have to adjust anything on your raid or does the G4 give you 'perfect' compatibility as is?

Rick

Damien
03-07-2002, 03:20 PM
I have read (here at the gurus) that you can adjust the Cheetah mode pages to better benefit video capture but I have not done it. I believe that is more important when capturing analog video (or so I understood) I have a Formac Studio that converts all my analog to DV before it ever reaches my Burly. iMovie sees the formac device (and ANYTHING I connect to it) as a DV camera.

From what I've read on DV, its requirements are not that big on the sustained write speed of your drives. But still Video capture is one of the big reasons I have scsi drives now because I was very uncomfortable capturing to an ATA drive

Anyway as soon as your package gets to me I will post some benchmarks but as you said you did not feel that ExpressStripe was giving accurate #'s I may boot OS 9 and reformat the raid with SoftRaid just for bench testing.

ricks
03-07-2002, 05:21 PM
D,

Your info is appreciated. I am surprised that the CD hasn't made it, it went out in my mail box Sat the 2nd. Maybe today.

I'm having fun right now building combination RAID0 and RAID0+1 partitions on my Burly. Nice actually to have the time to try some things before I do a final configure and start storing data on it. It is a huge bummer when you run an array for a month and then find out it should have had a couple more partitions or been setup totally different. I hate backing up to just reconfigure and reinitialize my drives.

Please continue to post how your RAID works for DV, I have never done that and appreciate the insights.

Rick

Damien
03-07-2002, 08:44 PM
It did get here today, (thanks again) and I see what you mean about wonky #'s My best reading was 140MB a sec which is great but I was expecting a bit more. 4 drives on two channels, I was expecting 160-180. BUT ExpressStripe bench readings were all over the place! I think you're right about that app being not ready for prime time.

I attempted to boot OS 9.2.1 and had an extension conflict so I booted no extensions only to be reminded that in a fit of cleaning frenzy, I had trashed my Softraid from my drive so I could not bench the raid in OS 9. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I'll have to dig out Softraid and try again....but if I know myself Softraid X will be out before I get that done.

[This message has been edited by Damien (edited 07 March 2002).]