PDA

View Full Version : Backup system advice needed...

jsfitz22
03-01-2002, 12:54 PM
I just purchased a Power Mac G4 Dual 800 computer to run Digital Performer in a digital audio workstation (DAW) and I want to know what the members of this forum suggest I do to backup my work. The work I will be doing and associated data will be irreplacable and it is critical that I have redundancy/multiple layers of backup protection. One more important piece of information - MOTU (Digital Performer's developer) does not recommend RAID 0 for their software. I plan to backup to my DVD-R superdrive, but I would also like some automated systems. I've done a lot of preliminary research, so here are a few places to start:

1. The first questions is - do I need to go SCSI or should I stick with IDE (currently, Digital Perfomer only runs for me in MacOS 9.2)?

2. Should I set up a RAID 1 system - I can't seem to find any reasonably priced hardware to do this in MacOS?

3. What software solutions will do this (softraid, etc.) - do they tax the processor/disk speeds much?

4. I have an old Power Mac 8500 and read an article in MacWorld about using machines like this as "backup servers" - networked backup using something like Retrospect - is this a good idea - how involved is it to set up this network - does it just use TCP/IP?

Basically, what I think I want is:
1) an automated backup to another hard drive (either the networked old mac idea or a firewire external?)
2) a mirrored hard drive (RAID 1 system, if possible)
3) backup to removable non-magnetic media (already covered with DVD-R)

So what's the best/most cost-effective way to make this happen?

Thank you! I'm looking forward to getting started.
Take care,
-J.

------------------
Jason S. Fitz
New York, NY

[This message has been edited by jsfitz22 (edited 01 March 2002).]

ChrisYip
03-01-2002, 02:21 PM
Hi...
I can help out here... I have a fully networked system using Retrospect and it works great

Configuration

I have several machines set up as RAID 1's using SoftRAID, they are backed up nightly over our 100 network to a Retrospect server running on a G3 upgraded 7300 box w/ 3 VXA tape drives - the drives work quite well although I just had one burp on a tape but otherwise, they are really fast. I'm using the LVD version of the tape drives and can get 160 MB / minute transfer over the network.

SoftRAID is pretty transparent to my users - and works well. Processor-wise, I'm running on a G3 upgraded 7300 for my ASIP server and it seems fine

They are driving 36 GB 10,000 RPM LVD Cheetahs off Miles2 cards - all under OS 9.1 or 9.0.4

Cost wise for the tape drives - which can store 66 GB compressed - it's a balance between cost vs tape changing etc..Right now, backing up all 26 of our machines spans 2 tapes while the nightly network server back-up only uses about 1 tape (incremental)

Retrospect is the way to go _ at least if you aren't using OS X - I have beta OS X clients running on some machines and it also backs up all my Wintel machines and student laptops.

Retrospect even e-mails me with status and I have Applescripts which create WWW pages to show me the back-up logs

HTH

Chris

ricks
03-01-2002, 08:16 PM
Hi Jason,

Welcome to the forum.

I have a different take than most when someone says that their data is irreplacable. Hardware RAID. A couple places you might look at to see if their products match your need:Medea' VideoRAID and fantomdrives.com. A RAID3 or RAID5 solution has its benifits. The Gurus is also selling a Firewire RAID that might fit the need.

I am not a knowledgable person when the subject is AV and Audio so you'll have to check the suitability of the arrays for your system.

Hope that helps.
Rick