PDA

View Full Version : Filemaker RAID failure

dkemme
02-05-2002, 10:05 AM
I have been battling an error in running backup with Filemaker server 5.5 to or from a RAID 1. I repeated recieve a -36 error with any file that is larger than about 500mb, a file that contains many images. I tried replacing everything possible, OS, RAID software, drives, cables, terminators, but still recieved the same error. After a lengthy call to Filemaker support, the tech admitted that Filemaker server is not certified to run on a RAID. It cannot reliably backup to a different volume than what it is running on. He suggested backing up to the same volume and then scheduling another program to move that file to a different volume/RAID but offerred no way to have the primary data on a RAID to allow backups within Filemaker Server.
What a deficiency for a dataserver not to be able to run on a RAID! Does anyone have any suggestions? TIA

dragon_x
02-05-2002, 11:59 AM
Maybe you could setup the Mac to boot off a standard drive, but run the FMPro app and data files off a RAID-1 volume?

Sounds like it might work. I assume you can open the 500MB + files other ways - say if you movie it to the drive/partition that FMPro is running on.

You may just have to run it on single drives and then setup to backup to another drive - maybe this is where you could run a RAID-1 (mirror) setup?

With critical DB files it is always a good idea to have a 3rd backup off site- usually this is done on TAPE.

That does sound like a stupid limitation though.

------------------
I'm back!

dkemme
02-11-2002, 03:43 PM
I'm already booting off the internal IDE drive. I've done some more testing, the back up fails when a test database gets to 50mb with 1.75 million records.

mactheripper
02-13-2002, 12:10 AM
kaye may know this one. Definitely an interesting problem, if it is the software.

http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/batlogo.gif Batsignal invoked to kaye!

kaye
02-13-2002, 04:41 AM
Ripper,

I wish I did know of a solution. I think this is the second topic about this FMPro issue and I have been following along but have never encountered Filemaker. It does sound deep seated software related and from what I've read from both threads is becoming fairly well known.

You have probably seen these already http://lists.mac-mgrs.org:81/Lists/mac-mgrs/Message/10020.html and http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/pdf/fms_best_practices.pdf a pdf document that seems to recommend a RAID, despite what the tech says. All I can say. k

dkemme
02-15-2002, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the ammo, I contacted tech support again, pointing out there own reference that RAID is the most stable option when using FMServer. He told me he would fix it right away! Unfortunately he meant the white paper, not FM Server. He would not comment if any fix is in the wings.

kaye
02-16-2002, 01:30 AM
Well, now that is what I call service, of a different sort. Amazing answer to their own tech article dated Nov 20, 2001, especially for such an expensive application. 5 stinking onions. k

02-25-2002, 01:17 AM
duh...