PDA

View Full Version : RAID problem

dkemme
01-25-2002, 02:50 PM
I have a ST318404LW in with an new ST318405LW, the original 404 in this RAID died and replaced with the newer Cheetah, connected with GD500 in a burly enclosure cabling to an ATTO Ultra3 dual channel SCSI card and a GD2015 LVD terminator. All is connected to a G4 500DP with 9.2 running. The newer drive is set for ID1 and older drive at ID2 but am having problems getting Drive Setup to recognize when both drives are powered up. Drive setup recognizes them fine when one or the other is powered but when both is powered, Drive Setup goes into a terminal repeat with it's wheel spinning indefinately. By turning the power off to the drives, Drive Setup will stop working, sometimes recognizing one of the drives. The only pins placed on the drives are for ID purposes. THANKS DJK

TZ
01-26-2002, 09:40 AM
What were the drives previously formatted with? SoftRAID? The latest 10k Cheetah is now 406 and nearly as fast as the X15 but with smaller cache. Drive Setup can but not easily format a drive with Drive Setup on it. Its usually easier to use ExpressPro Tools or something else. FWB Configure is part of my essential toolbox to restore a drive to factory default mode page settings and to optimize mode pages. Then install SoftRAID. I like what FWB HDT 4.5.2 offers and it has salvaged drives that otherwise would have been declared dead or need RMA.

It does sound like a cable or something isn't talking properly. Have you looked for bent pin or something else? Curious maybe something besides the drive itself caused the first (404 - two years old?) to die.

Gregory

dkemme
01-27-2002, 01:03 AM
I will try FDT on the drives and see what happens. I do not think it is a cable problem as I have bought duplicates of the entire system, new hard drive, cables, card and terminator, with the same problem. I'll let you know how the formatting works. Would the tools that came with the ATTO drive include any formatting tools worth using or should I buy FWB's.

ricks
01-27-2002, 01:36 AM
The ATTO tools have a pretty good erase function for the driver/partition map/index of a drive. You can erase and start over which at times can be a life saver. Beware, all data is permanently GONE. This is a quick index erase and takes little time and your drives will then be seen as uninitialized, as if blank new drives.

This is great as some utilities like FWB make their driver hard to get rid of and make a simple drive overwrite impossible. Just use your erase and you can install any of the drivers you want and you'll know you can undo it later. (usually you can reinitialize and replace FWBs drivers also)

This also makes it easy to test various drivers ie: Softraid,Apple,FWB,ATTO etc because you can get rid of them to go to the next one.

Recheck your drives carefully that you are using the correct jumpers. The J2 jumper connections should have no jumpers on either drive. Like you said, the only jumpers should be on the front of the drives setting differing ID numbers. I realize you already know this, it just never should hurt to go through it One More Time.....

Like a bad dinner, this too shall pass.
Rick

dkemme
01-28-2002, 01:00 PM
I was able to do a low level erase with ATTO express tools but when attempted to mount the drive I get a fatal error with the newer drive, no problem with the older drive. I repeated above with an internal cable with same error so does not seem to bee a cable error. Any suggestions or should I get another drive?

ricks
01-28-2002, 01:11 PM
http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/crossbones.gif

Time for a NEW drive. You have done everything possible in getting the best hardware and checking the drive out.

Replace it and http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/kickass.gif

Rick

dkemme
01-28-2002, 03:43 PM
I'll order another right away. Any chance of this one, purchased 10/01 but backordered and shipped few weeks later, being in warranty? If not under warranty any reason to try and fix? THANKS. DJK

ricks
01-28-2002, 04:21 PM
DJK,
Seagate SCSI drives have a 5 year warranty. They really do replace drives that fail, how bout that? You shouldn't have any trouble with getting a warranty replacement.
Rick