PDA

View Full Version : RAID Cooling

Epoch
12-06-2001, 09:49 PM
I want to cool my ATA/133 RAID setup in my DP 800 Quicksilver. I have two IBM Deskstar 60 gig 60GXP's in RAID 0 config with the Acard ATA/133 Hardware RAID card. I also have a 120 gig Western Digital drive on the. So with all those drives including a Plextor 2410a CDRW and GeForce 3, I want to add some cooling. I have no idea what I can make work in this case, as most of the cooling out there is made for the PC. I would like to know of everything that can work in this machine, such as PCI slot coolers, Hard drive coolers etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Epoch

Damien
12-07-2001, 08:05 AM
Cooling is always good and if you are worried about it then it will give you peace of mind if you do it. But............

With those being all ATA drives I really think the Mac has more than adequate cooling in there already. You have 2 fans taking hot air out of the top of the case and really huge fan bringing cool air in the bottom and blowing it right across the top of your drives.

If you have a free pci slot there is a gadget you can buy that will mount into a slot that has fans on it that take air from the computerand blow it out the back of the pci slot

TZ
12-07-2001, 08:46 AM
Save your $$ and your PCI slot. I bought one of those fans for my B&W that had three 10k drives. Not that helpful. QSDP has even better design for cooling, esp. with dual cpu. ATA drives can be stacked - someone on posted a report on how they put SIX ATA drives across the bottom of their QS (not sure if it was here or on www.xlr8yourmac.com). (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com).)

It is designed to handle 2-3 SCSI drives - and those should never be stacked due to heat and exposed the logic board under the drives.

Gregory

Damien
12-07-2001, 12:00 PM
I had not heard any good or bad feedback on the PCI slot thingy. If Gregory seems to think they are unhelpfu,l that's good enough for me. Save your $$

I have 2 brand new 15000rpm Cheetahs in my 733 and also I have the 7200 rpm stock 60gig in there and in my computer room (with Central heat and A/C) they do not get hot at all . Barely warm to touch.

Macaholic
12-07-2001, 02:46 PM
Another thought is to upgrade the existing fans to a higher cfm rating

sauria
12-24-2001, 09:20 PM
In a DP/800 you have the power supply fan blowing out the back, a big case fan blowing hot air out of the left bottom of the case (looking at the front of the Mac) and a very lame stock CPU fan that barely moves any air across the CPU heatsink. Replacing the stock 60 x 60 x 25 CPU fan (with a 26cfm model from YS Tech) easily moves much more air into the case and lowers heatsink temps nearly 25F during RC5 cracking!

Damien
12-24-2001, 10:07 PM
Kaye and I just had a discussion about this as it turns out The Quicksilvers have, as Sauria said the main fan and PS fan exhausting air and the Proc fan drawing air in

In the Digital audio line the Main fan draws air in and the Proc & PS fans are exhaust

Check out the thread here
http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000656.html

sauria
12-26-2001, 04:50 PM
I'm concerned about how hot the DP/800 runs with two stacked ATA IBM 60 GXP's and an upgraded CPU fan sucking much more air into the case. I've never had a hotter running mac!

dragon_x
12-26-2001, 06:39 PM
I do much prefer the Barracuda4's over any IBM IDE/ATA drive. The cudas are fast and so far they seem to be of better build quality all around. The plastic PCB circuit boards are also 'protected' by a metal plate. We have some IBM drives at work - they seem OK, but some are REALLY noisey http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/eek.gif

I do have a PCI slot fan in my YosemiteG3/500. It does seem to help - it sits right above a two stacked IDE/ATA drives (20GB Quantum & 40GB Maxtor). I would think the slot fan would be a little better if it were sucking from below vs. from above. I actually tried two out. One was fairly noisey, so I returned that model. I am running an XLR8 G3/466 @ 500/250/100, the two IDE/ATA drives, one 10K, 36GB Cheetah and I have the RADEON PCI + V5 PCI cards and all RAM slots populated (512MB). CPU temp is fairly stable from 32C to 42C.

The new QS G4s put out a lot of heat (esp with the 2MB L2 cache) and they no longer are spec'd to report the temp. I think the previous models (7400) were very in accurate so MOTO seems to have dropped this feature completely. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Not a big deal, but it does add another headache when one wants to find the temp.

My 867/QS does have the GF-3 & PCI RADEON. I may add SCSI, but is probably a LONG way off. I will add another 60GB Cuda4 in the stacking slot. It also has the SuperDrive - which I have not had a chance to burn DVD's yet http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif As others have said this is one of Apples (or the industries) best cases for cooling. Of course Apple has had a lot of time to tweak the case for best performance. Most of my Win/Tel buddies who have a maxxed out system often have to leave the case cover off to keep the components cool enough to prevent a crash or system lockup. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I suppose there are two way to obtain extra cooling - if you REALLY want it.
Biggest Mod
Cut a hole in the front of the case. Install fan, grill & filter. Setup so that air is drawn over the drives and out the back. There goes your cool quicksilver speaker -but they everything is running 'cool'!
Not as big a Mod
Cut a hole in the bottom - under the drives and mount those thin-drive coolers (to cool the PCB boards). Be careful so that you can still mount the drive.

Of course everything would need to be taken apart. The board & powersupply should come out - to make sure metal shavings do not get into the supplies and on the boards.

An easier mod would be to install one (maybe two) drives above the CD-burner/Superdrive bay. You could also install a drive in the ZIP bay.

If you went SCSI or Firewire you could put your drives in an external case.

Those ultimate drive coolers are great, but there is really no space for them in any Yose to QS Mac case. Most IDE/ATA drives run fairly cool by yesterdays standards - and esp by 15K rpm SCSI standards.

------------------
To boldly go where no english professor has gone before! -)

sauria
01-01-2002, 10:35 AM
I like the idea of replacing that QS speaker that is only good for HISSING at you! I wonder what a good fit for the stock hole would be?

Thanks dragon_x

Damien
01-01-2002, 11:46 AM
I bought one of these
http://www.macgurus.com/beta/showrampage.cgi?coolingdevices6.html

PCI slot coolers to try it out it does what I want it to. It doesn't really move a lot of air (42cfm) But I bought it specifically to cool a 10K Cheetah half height drive (ST173404LW) What I did was remove the L-bracket and turn it over so that it IS drawing air from the bottom, installed it in the lowest PCI slot and have the 10K Cheetah in the rear (stacking) drive bay. This puts that fan directly above the Cheetah so that I am taking 42cfm directly from the top of that drive. Seems to work very well for this.

It does not seem to change my case temp much though

[This message has been edited by Damien (edited 01 January 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Damien (edited 01 January 2002).]

sauria
01-08-2002, 11:59 PM
Cool Damien! Sucks out a bit more heat I bet?