PDA

View Full Version : ATTO Dually power draw?

Damien
01-02-2002, 09:37 PM
<font size="1">Hi all,

Can I assume that the ATTO UL3D will draw twice the power using both busses as it would using one bus?

The reason I ask is that I think I have reached the limit of my Power supply in my G4. My ata drive seems not to be getting enough power since I added 3 Ultra high speed power swine-like scsi pigs....er drives. When I boot up the scsi drives make this funny noise, kinda sounds like oink, oink and the ata drive says in a tiny voice "help I've fallen and I can't get up..... " I do not think the drive is bad though because in an external case it spins up normally and says "Hi" Disconnecting any single drive cures the issue.

This setup was working perfectly until I moved the 73gig 10K Cheetah to its own bus on the UL3D isolating the dual x15 raid on the other bus.

Other items I have drawing power are 3 extra fans and a Rage 128 for the second monitor. GF3 for the main screen</font>

<font size="1">

Damien (http://www.macmeisters.com/Damien/)
</font>

[This message has been edited by Damien (edited 02 January 2002).]

ricks
01-03-2002, 01:02 AM
I don't think you can assume that the UL3D is twice the UL3s. The spec sheets on the two cards claim a identical .75 typical and 2.0 amp max @ 5v DC for both cards.

Your factory 60GXP uses the same 2.0 amps max at startup. Something else has to be happening. Insufficient power supply output? Software problem or voodoo.

I'm running 2 old cheetahs and 2 60GXP internally/UL3D/GeForce3/867. Should be similar in power use if not more since your powering external.
Rick

kaye
01-03-2002, 01:43 AM
My G4-800DP is running two UL3Ds and utilizing four channels, two X15s, two ATA/100 drives, an Initio Bluenote, a GF3, an 80mm hiflow fan, a 120mm hiflow fan replacing the original, and 1.5GB RAM. The power for the remaining six X15s comes from a Burly. Maybe you are on the edge. My power supply is 344 watts. k

TZ
01-03-2002, 11:08 AM
i would suspect that you've added Y-adapters to split power to your drives perhaps, and one of them is bad or not making good contact. moving anything or replugging a drive seems to be a nuisance on my b*w. But I've had three 10k Atlas drives plus ATA along with Zip and CD without over-reaching. I do prefer to have my SCSI external so they can warm up and be sure to stay powered on during reboots and shutdowns.

From talks with ATTO support seems that the UL3S and UL3D have very common board and parts (you can see the etching for where the 2nd channel goes on the board).

Gregory

Damien
01-04-2002, 12:15 AM
http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Ok don't I feel like an ass!

I have told ppl in the Apple forums that when all else fails try to format before you determine that you have a hardware fault. Apparently I need to listen to my own advice as I had massive directory damage on that drive.

Very surprised that it would make such noise while searching for a directory....

All is working well again after a format and all off the internal PS. (suprise suprise) Nevertheless I believe I will not immediately depend on that drive until it has had some "burn in" time because SOMETHING caused that damage...

I just moved all my files from that drive last week to the new scsi drive so I lost NO DATA at all. Fortune really does favor the foolish I guess...

"Pointing and laughing" welcome just post it here for all to enjoy