PDA

View Full Version : termination on case

williamrah
11-30-2001, 01:08 PM
I'm putting 2 Ultrastar 36LZX Ultra 160 drives in an external 2 bay 5.25" case with 68 pin HD connectors. The case will connect to an Initio Miles UW card. The case external connector is 68 pin HD LVD. I checked the gurus page on terminators and there are enough 68 pin models to confuse me. Could you advise as to which one would be most appropriate for this use? Thanks.......While waiting for a proper terminator, could I temporarily use the following parts I found in my hardware archives?

SCSI-1 to SCI-3 adapter(50 pin female to 68 pin male), with an APS SCSI Sentry 50 pin pwered SCSI actve terminator

or would I risk damage to the drives and or system?

Thanks for your advise

ChrisYip
11-30-2001, 01:22 PM
Hi... I have several of the GD2015,GD6299 on my LVD external cases.. they work great..

ricks
11-30-2001, 01:58 PM
I think that only with a lot of luck will your single ended adapters work to properly terminate a LVD bus. Might not be worth the trouble/risk. Rick

lasvegas
11-30-2001, 10:24 PM
Don't even attempt to use an adapter with a Narrow Terminator on a wide bus. The terminator would leave the upper end of the wide bus unterminated and would cause great risk to the drives. Get a proper terminator and avoid problems.

williamrah
12-01-2001, 12:19 PM
Thanks everyone .......I know what I need now and really would never have attempted to use that narrow adapter without some professional advise. That's the greatest service this forum offers...preventing damage by letting people like me know what not to do...Thanks Lasvegas