PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! - massive data loss

Leland
11-30-2001, 02:59 PM
here's the situation-

i am using a g4 dual 450 with an initio miles2 card and 2 18 gig cheetahs in a raid 0 (softraid) internal. i was using OS 9.1, and it was only installed on the IDE drive.

the 30 gig ide drive on my mac was giving me problems - norton told me there were bad blocks, and despite several attempts it couldn't seem to fix the problem. i installed a second 1 gig IDE drive, put OS 9.0.4 on it, and started up off of that so that i could work freely on the other drives with more than just the norton cd.

i decided to back up the data from my ide drive to my raid before doing any more work on it, so i dumped some of my video from the raid to mini-dv to make room, and began to copy data from the IDE drive to the raid. when it was almost finished copying, the computer froze. so i restarted with the button on the front of the case.

when the computer restarted, it told me that both my IDE drive and my raid were unreadable, and asked me if i wanted to initialize them. of course i chose not to do that.

the volumes do not show up in drive setup, nor do they show up in the system profiler (although i can see all of the disks).

i installed softraid on the 1 gig drive, and i can see the raid volume in there. when i try to mount it, however, it asks if i want to initialize it.

i would love any suggestions on solutions for getting all (or any) of my data back from either of the disks. basically my entire life's work is lost here.

other system specs in case they matter:

video: one 32mb agp card and one 16mb pci rage orion (i run two monitors).
scsi: aside from the miles2, there is a standard adaptec card installed that i use for my external devices (flatbed and slide scanners).
memory: 1 gig of RAM

thanks for any help or suggestions-

Leland

the_anarch
11-30-2001, 03:45 PM
Please refer to the thread with this same title in the IDE forum. We'll cover both the IDE and RAID aspects of this issue there.

[This message has been edited by the_anarch (edited 30 November 2001).]