PDA

View Full Version : RAID Ok to Supply Video... Etc.?

Bri
11-06-2001, 10:41 AM
How ya doin,

I occasionally see advice given to those who might venture into a pro video editing and Pro Tools system in the same machine. That advice goes something like "Don't." It's my understanding that if I wanted to setup something like a RAID system for video (internal) that I can simply switch to a different extention set, re-boot and I'm off and cutting on my 867 Quicksilver.

What am I missing? Should I prepare for conflicts with my video RAID storage (for Fuse) that supplies video for Pro Tools 5.1? Is there some exotic file corruption problem lurking in the wings?

Just in case anyhone's interested, the video RAID runs off an ATTO ExpressPCI Single-Channel Ultra3 SCSI. I haven't recieved my 15k drives yet -- so it's not setup. I just want to anticipate the horor.

Thanks in advance,

brian

dragon_x
11-08-2001, 10:09 PM
A stripped RAID (0) should not require any extra extesions - or special extensions sets. As long as the card is TESTED and CERTIFIED with the Mac and the drives you have - you should be fine.

I would think an ATTO U160 card + granite cabling + Cheetahs would = SUCCESS. I have not messed with any FUSE cards or pro video. Turning things off like AppleTalk, FileSharing and anything else you do not need could speed up video encoding - but the 867 should be plenty fast with a regular set.

You should check out http://www.XLR8yourmac.com

You can look up drive success & failure on various systems - some are fairly high end like your own.

GL.

Bri
11-10-2001, 08:13 AM
Thanks. I'll go to the site and check it out.

brian