PDA

View Full Version : internal vs external for my 2 Cheetahs

pfoley
10-11-2001, 01:24 PM
Hi, I have a raid that just died. I got it about 3 years ago from a company called pro direct (out of business, 5 year warranty no good). It is a two drive set up (two 9 gig cheetahs ST19101W) In an enclosure that appears to be the same type as Macgurus uses, although mine has a swappable key lock system. I've determined that the drives are OK by putting them in my Beige G3 Tower. The problem is that they are Hot and loud. Too much so, I think to keep internal. Unless someone knows of a way to get them to spin down when not being used ?( I don't and that is my question) If not, What would it cost to have Macgurus build me a new enclosure I can mount my drives in ? Thanks for your help.

Peter

ChrisYip
10-11-2001, 04:32 PM
how did it "die"?

You should be able to put them into another case - take a look at the Burly enclosures and see which one you need - i.e. 68 pin ones.. If they are hot, you might need to get some of the ultimate hard drive coolers..

Take a look at the Roll Your Own RAID tutorial - that should provide lots of help
http://www.macgurus.com/graphics/mgscsiultraid1.html

As for spinning down, not sure you really want to do that with a RAID...

HTH

Chris

pfoley
10-11-2001, 05:17 PM
I'm not sure how it died. Just one side wouldn't light up any more. I wasn't sure if it was a drive or enclosure problem so I tested the drives by putting them in my G3 minitower, and they are fine. What if I just used them as drives (not a raid) could I get them to spin down independently ?

ChrisYip
10-11-2001, 06:22 PM
Well - you could try Energy Saver to spin down the drives after a certain amount of time...

What sort of RAID do you have though?. RAID 0 or RAID 1?. If it's two drives set up as RAID 0, then they both have to be powered up for the virtual drive to appear. If it's a RAID 1 - i.e. mirrored, then it's a bit different...

Chris

lasvegas
10-12-2001, 01:38 AM
I'm not sure how it died. Just one side wouldn't light up any more.

If you've got a multimeter available, check the power connectors that was going to the drive that stopped lighting up. Sometimes a cold joint will simply wear out and stop supplying power to the drive. You can pick up a power-splitter cable from any PC supply house to split the other connector to both drives. This wouldn't cause any problem since the same power supply is still supplying both drives.