PDA

View Full Version : The Road to Building An 8 Drive Raid

disway
08-28-2001, 12:33 AM
Before I get all the LEGO pieces in the mail and start puting them together, I was wondering if an Adaptec 29160 U160 card can be co-existed with the ATTO DU3 card? Currently the G4 Server (who is getting the ATTO card) is using the Adptec card with an AIT drive hooked up to it. Id hate to see if those 2 cards wont work together and I would have to run backups through the network. Thanks!!

dragon_x
08-28-2001, 09:55 PM
I'm not sure why you would need two cards. The ATTO U160/U3 card should be able to handle just about anything you toss at it. Its probably 2x better than that Adaptec piece.

What are you using to backup the system?

------------------
Life in the fast lane leads to:
The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe

Santilli
08-29-2001, 02:58 AM
I ran an ATTO and an adaptec 2940 uw card together, against advise.

It works fine.

Your experience could be different.

gs

disway
08-29-2001, 09:05 AM
The AIT tape drive is currently running off the Adaptec card. And I will be using both channels on the ATTO card for the external RAID. I guess we just have to wait and see if there gonna be a problem or not.

weenies
08-29-2001, 10:53 AM
d:

is the drive running off the adaptec card internal? if so you can run everything of the ATTO card which performs much better in a g4 than the adaptec card. just set your ids carefully and you can utilize the internal bus connectors of the ATTO card because the card can hold up to 30 devices.

------------------
-Spud (O' the Weenies)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"I clean the basement
of Hardware Heaven...
and like it!"

disway
09-04-2001, 01:50 PM
Just got all my 8 Cheetah drives today, one question came to mind, which part of the drive do you use to set SCSI ID? Is it the front next to the power pins (J5), or is it the one on the other end (J6)? Or...do you need to set the ID at all on these drives? Thanks!

TZ
09-04-2001, 02:41 PM
You DO need to set the ID for each but either location. I'd suggest (J6) jumpers just to be out of the way. But you probably want to write down what you plan to put on each channel, and then use Apple System Profiler to verify - makes a nice printout report too with lots of info.

SoftRAID. But you may want to benchmark and see for yourself before committing data to your RAID. With less than a month to go before OS X with built-in RAID (ATTO) might want to put that into your planning too.

Promise you'll post numbers when you're up - those 8 2G X15s?

Gregory

disway
09-07-2001, 10:50 AM
I have installed 2 disks in the enclosure, for testing purpose, I hook it up to the ATTO DU3 card, the drives showed up in both the ATTO tool and SoftRAID, however they need to be re-initialized. The problem is, I can't initialize them. SoftRAID said there is an error, maybe drive is damaged (of course not), ATTO tool only gave me some error codes (error code 70 and etc.) without descriptions. I have everything installed correctly, SCSI ID, priority disabled. The only thing is I am using the internal ribbon came with the enclosure because the good ones are not here. Help please.

magician
09-07-2001, 11:26 AM
update SoftRAID to 2.2.2. That will do it.

check your firmware revision on the ATTO, as well. We have all of them from 1.5 to the latest, 1.6.4.

if you are splitting the drives between two buses, you will end up w four drives per bus, connected to the external connectors.

if your tape device is LVD, you could, theoretically, attach it to one of the internal connectors of the ATTO, or in line externally on top of your array enclosure, running a cable from one bus to the rear of the device, with your GD6299 terminator on the second connector to terminate the bus. It is important to stress that that your tape mechanism MUST have an LVD interface if you attach it to the ATTO board.

you may be able to just leave it where it is, on the Adaptec, without having to shuffle things around. The UNI-N PCI architecture in the latest Sawtooth is very forgiving and tolerant, and accommodates multiple boards that previously would be problematic. One example that still exhibits problems on occasion, however, would be Digi boards with SCSI boards and video cards. Aside from that combo, the Sawtooth is very robust, and the PCI controller very flexible.

disway
09-07-2001, 12:18 PM
All things are current, and there is nothing attached to the enclosure except its connected to the ATTO card, plus the enclosure is terminated at this point (thanks to the external terminator I got today http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ). I called the ATTO tech support (who is just as helpful and patient as here), the guy told me error code 70 is an I/O error. So I guess the cable could be the problem. Hopefully I can get it soon...