PDA

View Full Version : RAID for Photoshop w/Backup

westfoto
08-28-2001, 09:55 AM
I would like some info on whether this is possible. I would like to have a RAID of about 100GB or 120GB and in the same case as the back-up. I was looking at the VXA Tape system for the back-up. I am a little confused as to what set up I need to get. I see that there are 50 pin and 68 pin cases and I want to use the one that will last the longest and have the best proformance. This being the first RAID that I have set up I would like to do this right the first time and not have to do it again. I will be setting this up with a G4 533 DP. I would also need a SCSI for my G4.

One more question - I have a Agfa Duoscan that I would like to set up with this machine and not have to transfer the files over my net work from the G3 - 233 that it is curently connected to now. Should I get two SCSI cards, one for the scanner and the other for the RAID?

Please advise.

dragon_x
08-28-2001, 12:23 PM
OK - here is what you should check out
For the LVD external 120GB RAID you want
2x73GB 10K Cheetahs or
3x36GB 15K Cheetahs or
1x180GB 7.2K Barracuda
2x180GB 7.2K Barracuda (mirrored)

an ATTO Ultra160/Ultra3 SCSI card (single or dual channel)
the single channel can support upto 15 drives (both internal and external) they are 68pin LVD - and you should ONLY hook up 68pin LVD drives (Ultra2, Ultra3, Ultra160, Ultra320) to it. With the right cabling you could run drives internally and externally. The dual channel gives you double the amount of drives (30 total) and also allows you to multiplex to get a total pipe of about 320MB/s - this is greater than the bandwidth on your 2x PCI bus - I think it would max out at around 215MB/s with the right drives. It really depends on where you want to spend your money, but you gotta pay to play http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

For the VXA - you should get the LVD/68pin model - that way you can hook it right up to your ATTO SCSI card. I think it comes with Retrospect. To backup over a network you need the full version - not express.

You will need SoftRAID. Not sure what the word is on SoftRAID for X - or even for 9.2.1 - this could be an issue, but it looks like X will support some form on RAID, built-in. SO maybe this is why there is not update for SR?

I would get a 4 bay or 8 bay enclosure. You will need one for the VXA and then 2 to 3 (maybe more) for the RAID.

You can not boot off a RAID drive (this may change in 10.1) so you should keep your stock IDE/ATA drive for this - or you could get a single 15K Cheetah, format it with Apple drivers and hook it up to the ATTO card.

You may want to keep the scanner on the G3/233. You could get a faster NIC (10/100) and even run it over TCP/IP - and setup a small network & shared folder. I like to have two systems up and running at all times. You could get a SCSI card - I think the MilesBlueNote would be the way to go for 50pin devices - I think you have 5 total slots in that system http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif (1- 4xAGP + 4- 2xPCI). I've actually used Photoshop to work on small files (20MB or less) over a slow network connection (10Mbps) - and it works fairly well on my system (G4/466Mhz)

If you do want to hook it all up to the new system - get TWO cards.

I havent used any of the VXA products, but they look good and Gurus wouldnt sell them if they sucked.

GL

------------------
Life in the fast lane leads to:
The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe

westfoto
08-30-2001, 10:38 AM
I see that you are suggesting that I can go with 3 drives. Does SoftRaid handle an odd number of Drives?

What type of cables should I use with this set up? I have noticed that in the Macgurus Roll you own RAID page that they suggest to take out the 50 pin cables and then put in the 68 pin cables from Granite. I do see the addvantage with using better cables in my system. Does Macgurus sell the Case with the better cables?

Thanks for the help
West

dragon_x
08-30-2001, 09:57 PM
Does SoftRaid handle an odd number of Drives?
It should handle just about ANY number of drives - from 1 to 8. I think you can stripe more than 8, but it probably gets pointless and you do increase the chances of failure. Of course if you run a MIRROR you can only use to (or maybe an even number?) of drives. I dont run mirrored raids much.

You want to make sure that ALL drives in the RAID are matched. In theory you could mix just about any scsi drive, but in practice you are only asking for trouble.

What type of cables should I use with this set up?
GRANITE TPO/LVD cables. I always recommend twisted pair for the internal cabling - it is ALWAYS better (all other things being equal) but its a bit messy. You can tie up the twisted pair with wire ties...

I have noticed that in the Macgurus Roll you own RAID page that they suggest to take out the 50 pin cables and then put in the 68 pin cables from Granite. I do see the addvantage with using better cables in my system. Does Macgurus sell the Case with the better cables?
YES. Gurus sell Granite. Changing the cabling out is fairly easy - I think you can order it with the 68pin LVD/Granite cabling pre-installed. You can also run up to 3 or 4 HDs internal to the Sawtooth case - so you may not need an external box. You can save a lot of money by running the drives internally - you would only need one cable with terminator - this would probably save you about $300.

kaye
08-31-2001, 01:42 AM
West,

The Granite TPO LVD cables for the Burly boxes are on the same page as the Burlys http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart/obj_show_page.cgi?mgscsienclosures.html and scroll down the page. I purchased a 68-pin Burly (MAP5083 8-Bay 5.25-in SCSI Encl w/ 15-ID Switches) and the Granite TPO LVD cables and LVD terminator. k