PDA

View Full Version : RAID and Quark Xpress

dfish
06-21-2001, 07:54 AM
We just added a 150 gb JES Solutions RAID Server running Mikrotest File Zerver software to our Mac network running 9.04. Our workflow requires we work on files over the network on the RAID. Quark files get a "file is locked" error message and changes cannot be saved. We use other hard drives on the network in the same manner and never had this problem. We don't get this error on any other application (Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver) Is there a solution? Firmware has been upgraded to 3.0. Quark Tech support tells me that Quark was not built to run over a network ( although I have never had this problem until the RAID) and I should consider myself lucky ! Help! (and thanks)
David

dragon_x
06-21-2001, 08:31 AM
Quark files get a "file is locked" error message and changes cannot be saved.
I'm no expert, but I've heard that some of their software will LOCK the file - IF someone else is using it. So its possible that someone else has the file open and does not know this. Its also possible that the Quark software (express I guess) 'thinks' the file is open by someone else. Are you using QPS or something?

How is the RAID connected to the network?
What did you use before the RAID?

The lock feature is supposed to protect the file and software from confusion, so only one person can work on it at at time.

tm311
06-21-2001, 05:06 PM
Quark works just fine over a network, and with raid as well....check your file sharing properties and see how they are set up. Are you running 4.1?

dfish
06-22-2001, 07:21 AM
File Sharing is off. Program linking is on. I am running 4.11
Ther odd thing is that when I initially mount the raid, everything works/saves just fine. But eventually I get the error message. Dismounting and remounting the drive solves the issue, but only for a short time. I'm not exactly sure how the raid is connected to the network, but I know there is an NT server involved. (Waiting for my tech guy to call me back with that info.) Previously we we using 3 9 gig hard drives- two internal on a G3 server and one external.

[This message has been edited by dfish (edited 22 June 2001).]

pcutrone
06-22-2001, 10:32 PM
The network RAID server is using Linex OS and TCP/IP protocall for appletalk. As david stated all other apps. work fine over the network except quark. does anyone know if quark is doing any special attributes settings that would give this the message FILE IS LOCK when only one user is using the file. I bet this does not happen with INDesign. Thanks.

------------------
Phil

tm311
06-23-2001, 06:39 AM
i would check the quark page and search that error msg. How come your file sharing is off if you are working over a network?

dfish
06-23-2001, 03:15 PM
File sharing is not necessary for individual work stations to access the file server. It only allows indivduals to see a workstation in the chooser if file sharing is on. This way nobody sneaks in the background and works on someone else's drive. But all workstations can see all the files on the server. This keeps duplication of files to an absolute minimum. I think the problem is not with Quark, but with the Raids connection to the network. The file is locked error message is the result of the server dropping off the network momentarily. And even though the server icon remains mounted on the desktop, for quark, it is not there. The error message doesn't present itself (nor has it ever) working on Quark files over the network that reside on a Mac Hardrive.

tm311
06-23-2001, 06:06 PM
This may not be relevant to your problem....but we use NT server on a computer that is sort of a print server on our network. we print to various devices using "Raster Plus"...and we have some shared folders set up on the macs that allow us to auto-update our PPD's, because of a problem with RaterPlus and making cutom page sizes. You need to reinstall the printer application after every page change.....you do this to update the PPD......but one of things that does not get updated is the "sharing" ...so each time we also need to "re-share" the raster plus printer.....so it might be a NT server thing.....

dragon_x
06-23-2001, 07:47 PM
Both those issues (from tm311's NT server and dfish's linex) sound really weird. I would enable file sharing on the Macs. They will see other Macs but you can password protect this and/or ONLY allow GUEST access to ONE folder. I've never had a problem with this and of course if you setup a single Mac as a file server you probably wont have any issues either. I would thing a fast Mac (G3/500+) could run well over a 100baseT (or faster) network. As servers go it would be REALLY CHEAP, maybe even cheaper than Linex! I dont even think you would Need ASIP or X/XServer either.

So, how many people are using this setup¨Ý

I assume many people need to work on the same file, so you want ALL the Quark files on a central partition. I've never tried QPS, but I hear some people like it. Quark and other 'content' companies are starting to move the ball on office work flow and digital asset management.... maybe some day this will all be cake? http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

------------------
Life in the fast lane leads to:
The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe.

jcasteel
07-25-2001, 10:21 PM
We had the same problem but with only 1 user. Creatives do their design on Macs and store long term on a Windows 2000 server. This worked fine for 4 people but the fifth had problems as you've mentioned. The Win 2000 server is running raid 0 (I think it is 0). My solution was to remove and reinstall Quark (We also use 4.11). This seems to have cleared up the problem. No complaint for 3 weeks.

Note: I don't like this setup as I'm not happy with the Mac/PC/Mac file moving. We need more space anyway so I'm going to move Creative's server files to a G3 server with two 60G drives mirrored with Raid 1.

I don't have a solution other than you might try reinstalling Quark.

dfish
07-26-2001, 07:43 AM
Thanks. Never thought of that.We'll give it a try. And I'll keep my fingers crossed!

dragon_x
07-26-2001, 09:10 AM
I'm going to move Creative's server files to a G3 server with two 60G drives mirrored with Raid 1.

Sounds like an IDE/ATA setup. I'm not sure a mirrored RAID works well on those - maybe if its the Sonnet Hardware IDE/ATA RAID card?

Those 73GB 10K Cheetahs looks pretty cool http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

jcasteel
07-30-2001, 10:58 AM
Yes, it will be an ATA/IDE setup with mirrored Raid (Raid 1). It is an unused G3 with a 4 GB harddrive currently. I can add the VST Ultratek IDE controller and 2 60GB IDE drives fairly cheaply. This is a version 1 G3 so trying to setup Raid 1 may not work at all but I've heard that it has been done.

08-10-2001, 01:45 PM
dfish, don't know if your problem has been resolved, but you might consider turning OFF Apple's "recent servers" option on any Macs involved. Don't ask me why (I'm working on that!), but this option was found to be the cause of more than one network oddity where I work. Anyway, two steps: (1) Go into Apple Menu Options and change the bottom setting to zero. Then (2) replace the "Servers" folder, located inside the System folder, with an EMPTY SimpleText file of the same name. (You'll need to trash the "Servers" folder first, since the OS won't let you replace a folder with a file.) This might help, and (in my experience, at least), users don't miss the "recent servers" feature at all.

dragon_x
08-10-2001, 05:31 PM
you might consider turning OFF Apple's "recent servers" option on any Macs involved. Don't ask me why

Others on this forum have posted about issues with alias' - specifically receinter servers (IIRC), the HD and maybe some others... I have seen the several folder (forget which one) become corrupt. It wouldnt update as new 'app' was opened. Corruption = RANDOM CHAOS http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Is that like CHAOS^2?-)

magician
08-15-2001, 12:33 PM
you can preumably use RAID 1 w a VST IDE card and a pair of IDE drives....i would encourage you to at least use a matched pair of IDE drives, if possible at all. Before trusting the unit, I would benchmark and burn it in hard, try to crash it and get the machine tweaked and pruned and slimmed down. Then, make sure that you have another good means of backup behind the RAID 1.

ok, now on the network problem. Since so many other apps work correctly, i think we can safely say we're dealing w something that Quark is doing differently. We've also seen what they had to say on the issue, and we all know better than to expect much more from them.

i guess what I'm thinking is that this could be an OT buffer problem, similar to something we experience here w older versions of FMP (sorry, FileMaker Pro 4.03) on occasion. The app will refuse to let us log on to a server, claiming that the database is already is use, etc. Well, of course it's in use. We set it up so multiple folks can hit it at the same time. FMP demands a serial number, which when given, accomplishes nothing.

the solution? Purging the network buffer. I'm dim on the exact specifics of all this, but I know that holding down the option key and opening the Chooser does something, or maybe it's holding down command-option when opening the Chooser....or control.....some keytroke when opening the Chooser purges some buffer with stuck values.

sorry for the imprecision, but that's all i've got for you on this at the moment.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

good luck!

dfish
08-15-2001, 02:50 PM
Well, I've tried everything suggested, except reinstalling Quark. I guess it's time...

kaye
08-15-2001, 10:24 PM
Option + Command + Open Chooser = clears Chooser cache

If you are experiencing AppleTalk related crashes, or problems remembering port selections, or some network problems, try clearing the Chooser cache by holding down the Command and Option keys while launching the Chooser. k