PDA

View Full Version : U2W Miles2 + 2 X Cheetah ST39102LW... max speed?

TaxiDriver
07-29-2001, 07:48 AM
I'm just wondering what I should expect for maximum performance from this set-up: 2 ST39102LW Cheetahs in RAID-0 on an Initio Miles U2W card. Right now I do no better than 36-37 Mbps, and everything that I've seen tells me that they should do better than that.

When I got the drives and set them up in my system on the Miles2, they automatically responded as RAIDed, and indicated something about FWB in the information screen... that would indicate that they had been formatted with Hard Disk Toolkit, I imagine? Should I reformat them?

tm311
07-29-2001, 09:59 AM
If it were mei would definately reformat them with Softraid...if you are using a vintage mac then your numbers seem ok.

MacMikester
07-29-2001, 02:12 PM
36-37 MB/s! (B = bytes, b = bits http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

Your numbers sound like they are in the ballpark. Using FWB benchmarks? The exact results vary by whichever benmark ute you use. It also sounds like you got them as a set, preformatted in a stripe with FWB RAID. SoftRAID might show you some increased numbers. The Miles2 card hosting a stripe is going to yield the absolute best performance you can get with a vintage mac (even better than an ATTO dual channel card with one drive per channel). The 64-bit wide ATTO card shines in the new G4 macs with 64-bit wide PCI slots.

kaye
07-29-2001, 06:28 PM
Also remember, those drives are 1998 technology, Ultra2 Wide LVD with a 1MB onboard cache. Current models are U160 LVD with 4MB cache and, about to be introduced models, some will have 8MB cache. k