PDA

View Full Version : 2 Cheetahs + 9500 = Heat(?)

stretch
07-10-2001, 09:40 PM
While I understand the need for a Miles2 or similar card to use LVD drive(s) in my 9500, I'm still confused about heat issues.

If I place two 9GB LVD Cheetah drives (ST39205LW) into my 9500 with the "K82359 8500/9500 Bottom Bay RAID Kit" will I melt my machine?

If I go with a single 9GB Cheetah, do I need the "K82359," or could I simply swap it for the drive I have in the upper bay and connect it to the Miles2?

Thanks for your time (and you're wonderfully informative site.)

dragon_x
07-10-2001, 11:47 PM
I asked about mounting two SCSI drives in the lower bay. The response I recevied was that Gurus does not endorse this. Even with modern 'cool' drives you can still cook the logic board of the top drive over time. If you get the braketing with the fans - you might be ok - assuming they can get enough air down there.

Your 9500 wont melt. Its a huge case with a beefy powersupply. Your drives my croak though. You should get one 18 ~ 36GB 10K or a single 15K drive. Then you dont need two drives! http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

------------------
Life in the fast lane leads to:
The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe

stretch
07-11-2001, 01:04 AM
What I'm looking for is speed on a limited budget. Photoshop tells me I'm running at 100% efficiency, so more ram won't help. Being without altivec programs, I'll snag the fastest G3 upgrade I can afford (still counting my rubles.) The more I can save on hard drive(s) the more I have for a cpu upgrade.

I was hoping to get a Miles2 and a 9GB Cheetah now and add a 9GB later to do the RAID thing. But, I guess that's out unless I go external. Unless there's a speed benefit to a 18GB/10k drive over the 9GB/10k drive, I'll stick with the smaller and apply the savings to the cpu. The 2GB I have is large enough but, at 5400 rpm SCSI 2, it's just too slow to live.

For what it's worth, I'm using Photoshop to work with 12" x 18" 600 dpi Grayscale TIFF files. I was taught to save early and save often but I'm getting tired of watching the Progress Bar do the 100 yard mosey.

Is the fan/bezel kit required for a single Cheetah drive?

Again, thanks for your time.

[This message has been edited by stretch (edited 11 July 2001).]

stretch
07-11-2001, 01:21 AM
"If you get the braketing with the fans - you might be ok - assuming
they can get enough air down there."

Not to be dense but, given there's a fan down there already to cool the PCI bank, what about adding one of those "Super Duper PCI slot fans" along with the bezel/fan combo? If the Guru's (in their infinite wisdom) can still only manage a "might be OK" then I'll just abandon the idea.

Again, thanks for your time

dragon_x
07-11-2001, 08:38 AM
If you can get fans mounted on a matching 9500 bezel then you have a great shot at stuffing 2 high end SCSI drives in your bottom bay.

The thing is you REALLY need air blowing on the drives & between the logic boards to make sure they stay cool. While I'm sure they could operate OK for several months without active cooling, you will probably get a failure sooner as the boards slowly cook. So a PCI slot cooler would not do much for the HDs.

The 9500 is a big chase so, depending on your skill & determination you could probably rig up a lower HD bay to install additional drives and keep them cool. Then we can call you MacGy'ver JR. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

stretch
07-11-2001, 11:49 AM
Dear Mac Gurus,

My browser doesn't do cookies, so I can't order online (OK, so I need to upgrade more than my hardware.) I tried dialing (800) 755-DRAM (3726) twice and got a video outfit. If I don't buy somethin' soon, I'm gonna' bust.

Can one place phone orders with the Guru's?

Thanks,
Confused in California

kaye
07-11-2001, 06:04 PM
s,

You didn't quite get the phone number correct, 1-800-775-3726. MacGurus is open from 1030AM EST to 5PM EST Monday-Friday.

What I usually do is email my order, sales@macgurus.com, that way there is no mistake about what I want, and provide a phone number for Deb to call me back to get the credit card info.

In the email, if you provide all of the particulars about your machine, magician may look it over to confirm you are ordering the right stuff. He always looks at my orders because he knows I made a mistake somewhere. Or I just ask in the email that he review the order for correctness. k

stretch
07-11-2001, 08:24 PM
DOH!

Thanks.

tm311
07-11-2001, 09:58 PM
I have never met anyone yet who has enough ram for PS6...... http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif How much do you have? i know that increasing the ram allocated to PS can increase the speed by 3 or 4 times depending on the task. Working with those files you should have 400MB of ram for PS or more if you have it. I am just curious as to what you do with those files and how much ram you have.

stretch
07-12-2001, 05:26 AM
I'm still running PS3. I have a total of 672 MB of ram (Woo Hoo), 600 dedicated to PS. I've partitioned my drive so that I have a 500MB partition dedicated solely for PS scratch disc space. But its a puny 5400 rpm drive that's too slow to live.

While my Mac was never a toy, it's only the last year that it's become a tool. With my earlier 7200, you'd hit a button and go out for lunch. With the 9500, you hit the button and go for a smoke. Now that the Mac is part of my everyday work schedule, I want to hit the button and go back to work. Some of my files take as much as a minute or more to open/close/save. It adds up, is rather frustrating and my smoking goes through the roof.

Mostly, I'm scanning original comic art (Batman, Spiderman, that sort of thing). While industry standard page sizes have shrunk to 8.5x13, I prefer to work twice up at 12x18. But, like trying to match hotdogs to buns, my scanner is 12x17 which means I have to scan twice and assemble each page. Yes, the publishers will do this but, then it's done by some poor shmoe getting $5.00 an hour who has no interest in quality. Not to mention putting the physical art at risk by shipping it back east.

Now I'm starting to get into color. Which gives me a greater need for speed. As the 9500 is such a pain to work on and won't accept (safely) a Cheetah raid internally, I'm beginning to think its time to buy a new G4. At least I can take the drive with me when I do. Till then, I'll probably get a G3 400 XLR8 card. At $200 it has a higher bang per buck ratio than the others. The 400 would give me around a 300% increase in speed, another $200 (for the 500) only hikes it another 40-50%. I think I'd be better off using that money to invest in the remaining parts to build an external raid. Or am I nuts?

tm311
07-12-2001, 07:42 AM
If you start scanning 12x18 at even 400dpi in RGB mode you will fit "save" and head home for the day*L* PS3 huh? Thats the one i started with...i seriously suggest once you start in with color scans that you upgrade that to 6.0. If you are truly into quality you will want to "color manage" your files for output and 3 does not give you that option. Plus you can fade "layer' opacity to make combining your 2 scans alot easier and faster. I think if i were you i would go with LVD and a single X15 cheetah.

stretch
07-12-2001, 12:44 PM
Scan in COLOR...? ARRRRRRGGGGGHH!!!!! Runs off screaming into the night. Or is it day, I've been up all night and it's well past bedtime for Bonzo.

Ordered the Miles 2 w/ 15k Cheetah (Woo hoo!) Still thinkin' on the XLR8 card and just who I have to kill to get the money.

Thanks to all for your time.

Now if someone would just build a scanner accelerator.......

stretch
07-14-2001, 06:14 AM
I've installed my new 15k Cheetah/Miles2 combo. Yowser, talk about fast.

There's a sound however, that has me concerned. In addition to the quiet clikety-clikety -clik that I'm used to hearing, there is now a more occasional and louder TICK. Sometimes almost like a metronome. Closer listening reveals it as a fast series of ticks that sound like one.

Is this normal?

tm311
07-14-2001, 07:58 AM
I hear that 'tick" "tick" noise on my 10k cheetahs from time to time as well....it goes away when i do something like click down and hold the mouse....I was told it was completely normal....but it does not do it all the time, in fact it hasn't done it on mine in a long time. It would seem to stop all together if i did a restart and then come back at randome times..i was told by these guys that it was normal for the drive to do that in order to keep moving and continue to self cool itself.....FWIW.

kaye
07-14-2001, 12:15 PM
s,

That tick with the X15, for me, seems to occur every 55-65 seconds after the last I/O and only with the drive spinning but not accessing. Appears to be a thermal calibration when the drive senses it is not being used. k

stretch
07-14-2001, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the reassurance. Now I just have to pull the trigger on a G3 card...

tm311
07-14-2001, 07:42 PM
i think your best bet with the G3 card would be the Xlr8 G3 500....its definately snappier than the G3 400 card, but if the 400 is half the price of the 500 it would be tough to pass that one up....for awhile they had a 466 card for under 300 that was a steal, but i think its sold out.

[This message has been edited by tm311 (edited 14 July 2001).]