PDA

View Full Version : Questions about a PC raid

tm311
06-10-2001, 10:23 AM
Sorry about the PC question in advance. Looking to set up a server with RAID capabilities. I would like to know how much the tranfer rates differ between ATA100 and scsi 160 in a small office enviroment. We will be pushing 20-30mb photo's over the network to a couple of photo printers. Obviously i would go scsi and mac, but somethings are out of my control http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

[This message has been edited by tm311 (edited 10 June 2001).]

MacMikester
06-10-2001, 07:25 PM
They differ as much as you want them to differ and as much you can afford. That's one of the hallmarks of SCSI , it's scalability. With a fast bus and CPU and the right controller and number of capable drives with a software RAID, you can see reads and writes between 100 and 200 MB/s. with a dual channel ATA, you are limited to four drives, only two of which can be addressed at a time, yielding maybe 60 MB/s reads and writes. Hardware RAID is a different story.

dragon_x
06-10-2001, 07:45 PM
My office ONLY uses SCSI - Cheetahs setup with a hardware RAID controller. The min config is usually 18GBx3. This gives us a very fast single volume of about 35GB and we do not PUSH 30MB PShop files around - yet. I'm not sure if they they are 15K or 10K,but they are fast.

For a server for pro use - where you make you $$, you should really go with SCSI. Its faster, scaleable, expandable and reliable. Of course we also use tape backups with off site storeage too... you can NEVER be too careful.

We mainly use Compaq Servers running Netware or NT (yuk). I am trying to push MacOS X servers... we do have an itty bitty FTP 'server' running on a MacIIcx (or something similar) with a 1GB external drive and a 2GB internal. Its been running solid for 4 months - ever since it was set up.

pcutrone
06-22-2001, 11:43 PM
For your application you would not know the difference in speed, seconds 2-4 maybe. However, the Cost of 160 mHz SCSI you will see is a lot more that IDE. If you were to be pushing 400 MB at a time you might want to invest in the cost of SCSI on a Costly platform with a hardware RAID controler, dual channel or more. 30MB photoshop files are not too bad for IDE unless you are moving 100's of them. The best use for a RAID is for data integery where the RAID is Level 1,3 or 5.
LOL

Santilli
06-24-2001, 05:16 AM
Good ide raid is just as expensive as a fast, single, scsi drive.

Why anyone would take unreliable, ide drives, and compound thier chance of failure, by raiding them, is beyond me.

If you want to sue raid 1 or 5, try finding a decent ide raid card that works.

Once you find one, you need to buy at least two extra ide drives that are going to exactly match the drives you are using.

The costs then become more for the ide then the scsi drives.

SCSI raid for a pc can be VERY expensive. Cheap cards for raid, Adaptec 2100 for example, give you what you pay for.

You haven't mentioned what mobo you are using, and if it has 64 bit slots or not.
If not, a regular scsi card, and 2000 raid 1 may be your solution.

gs

dragon_x
06-24-2001, 12:08 PM
Our servers run about $13K for everything except the server software. I think the 3 drive SCSI setup & card runs about $2200 total. Not sure what kind of card it is. ITS BIG though and has 68pins. This then goes to some kind of backplate with what seem to be 80 pin SCA connectors.

Santilli
06-24-2001, 05:57 PM
Just dawned on me. You said "over a network, to printers".
What is the speed capability of your network?

Raid is a waste of money if you are doing a network,or, if you had the capability to use the benefits of a raid, you probably would never mention ide in the same breath(read you have a fibre wire network, or something faster) unless you are doing raid 1 for a backup, or, want a single, large drive for all your files.

Use a single, X 15 for a startup drive, store the data on some sort of scsi drive that works a bit faster then your network transfers data.
Use windows 2000 disk management software to create either a raid 0 or 1 setup, depending upon if your data is vital, and can't be lost, or, you can loose the data, and want a big storage drive. If not, big ide drives might be the way to go.
Put at least 72 MB ram in your printers, and you are good to go.

gs

tm311
06-24-2001, 09:54 PM
TRUST me i would never mention ANYTHING in the same breath with a PC....i did not post this thread, a co-worker did using my password. I don't know where they got it in there heads to do a raid anyway....but i think its a mute point because i doubt it will go anywhere. Tes the machine in question is a PC...i believe its an old acer from 3 years ago...and yes we are trying to use it to install "raster-plus" and run it as a print server. Hoping to find a way to speed up the ripping and also allow it to run other apps in the forground while ripping....i believe it has a 400 P2 and 128ram.... so a raid is NOT the first thing needed http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Thanks for your help on sending me in the right direction...i will post back if we decide to move forward with this thing.