PDA

View Full Version : Nice Card 2940B

Santilli
05-18-2001, 08:58 PM
Hi Magician

Just thought I would drop a note and say thanks. Nice product, great price.
I pulled the ATTO UL3D and replaced it with the Adaptec card, and dropped the raid down to two X 15's. Took about 15 minutes to do the hardware stuff, and about 5 to recopy the os back onto the raid partitions on the x15's from the
Cheetah external uw box.

Overall, done and up and running in less then 1/2 an hour.

Now the dark side. I wanted to put the extra two X 15's in a pc box, and raid them with the atto card. Nothing but problems. I thought I would be able to hook the drives up the the 29160N, and then use the adaptec bios to low level format. No go.
I had to connect the drives back to another mac, use drive setup to lowlevel format, and zero both drives. This took awhile...

Finally got both drives up on the ATTO card, and recognized, after fdisking both drives, and then formatting both of them. Problem is, the bios on the atto card required some additional utility installed from the ATTO RAID disk, to enable the card to do raid. Wasn't just installed on the card...

I pulled the card, hooked everything back up to the 29160N, and it's running fine now. Decided I don't have the time to screw around with it, unless I do it right now. Problem is, then where do I connect my external cdrw, and my internal plextor cd rom???? I could use the 29160N, but so far, I haven't been able to get it, and the ATTO card to get along.

As for the mac, the 2940BLVD and the 2940uw seem to get along just fine. No problems.

So score sheet:
mac: done in half hour
PC: not done, took 9 hours and in another 8, with os install, it MIGHT work.

gs

gs

magician
05-22-2001, 07:34 PM
the Apple/Adaptec 2940U2B?

I love our price (http://www.macgurus.com/beta/showrampage.cgi?liquidations.html) on those units.

I'm not sure there is a better deal on an LVD card anywhere.

we use them as spare work cards here, for testing, that sort of thing. Can't beat the price!

sorry to hear about your dark side problems.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif