PDA

View Full Version : Seagate/Atto Lock Up

neilg
05-21-2001, 04:03 AM
G4 400, OS 9.1, ASIP 6.3.3, 20gbATA boot drive.
Got a supplier to install 2x36gb Segate ST336705LW drives as a mirror with an ATTO Express PCI UL3S with ATTO Express Software 2.4.1.
With intensive data transfer copying to the SCSI drives and ATA drives the whole system locks up and the mirror failing to autoload on startup.
Have troubledshooted with the usual Nortons/DiskWarrior/FWB some problems came up so reinitialised the disks with SoftRaid 2.2.2 works better but still freezes with intensive copy transfers, diagnostic reports state the mirror fails both with ATTO & SoftRAID software.
Any Ideas?

PENDRAGON18
05-21-2001, 09:44 AM
Since the U160 drives do not have termination and since they work for lite use, I would suspect the cabling and terminator. Are the drives internal or external? Are you using GRANITE Ultra2/160 cabling? What terminator is being used?

You might want to try running the drives individually or even in a strip config. I think there may be issues with Mirrors in G4s, but I thought that was only if you wanted to boot off it. I dont have any RAIDs setup on a G4, so I bet the gurus will have a better idea.

jorge
05-21-2001, 11:11 AM
Make sure you are running firmware 1.6.3 or 1.6.4 on the Atto board.

Then I would get a Granite Digital cable and terminator.

Cable GD1200 or the GD4700 (has one SCSI connector and 3 drive connectors in case you
add a 3rd SCSI drive to replace the IDE drive).
Terminator GD6299

j

neilg
05-21-2001, 07:25 PM
Firmware on the ATTO card is 1.6.3f1 can't see 1.6.4 on ATTO site.

My Seagates are internal, I will find out what cabling is being used.

I have formatted the drives as a mirror under SoftRaid & ATTO, both fail to copy 5gb worth of data. However when I initialise the drives as single HFS+ one copies all 5gb but the other fails.
So I either have a faulty drive or SCSI hardware configuration, would this be correct?

neilg
05-22-2001, 07:08 AM
Replaced internal cable and all works fine now.

However have formatted the mirror using SoftRAID 2.2.2, ATTO Express formation was resulting in Disk warrior errors and failure to automount on startup.
Neil

jorge
05-22-2001, 11:31 AM
We recommend and use Softraid and not the Atto tools. They make great hardware, but their software is lacking.

Also, I would get the Granite Cable and terminator.

j