PDA

View Full Version : Boot from RAID 0

rhunt000
04-30-2001, 01:52 PM
I would like to set up a RAID 0 in my beige G3 with 2 hard drives. Can you boot from this array? Can the RAID software be on this array? I read this --->Software RAID cannot be used on your boot disk, however, since the OS has to load before the RAID features are enabled.< at this website--->http://peripherals.about.com/compute/peripherals/library/weekly/aa082300a.htm

Thank you for any help.

ChrisYip
04-30-2001, 03:31 PM
Check these pages for info on SoftRAID:
http://www.macgurus.com/beta/obj_show_page.cgi?mgscsiraid.html
http://www.softraid.com/

I'm booting two 7300's under OS 9.0.4 off RAID 0 arrays using SoftRAID 2.2.2 .

Now, you can run into problems with the newer machines - I think the Graphite boxes in particular - this has been discussed at length in the forums - I think there are some hardware architecture issues with the newer machines...

HTH

Chris

rhunt000
04-30-2001, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the info. Do you think using the RAID software that came with Intech Hard Disk Tools will work ok?

Louie
04-30-2001, 05:25 PM
You can't boot from RAID 0 on a New World Mac. I think the beige G3 is not considered a full blown New World machine. Someone verify this please.

Intech's software will only RAID two drives max.

Dogstarman
04-30-2001, 08:37 PM
I have a fading memory, but the little I could find readily indicates that the Blue & White machines were the first NOT to support striped arrays as boot volumes. Mind you...I think they DO support mirrored volumes, just not striped. So it would be a logical assumption that the Beige models DO support any available RAID classes as boot volumes. Damn, there's another reason to dump money into my "new" toy.

magician
04-30-2001, 09:30 PM
it is more than feasible to boot off a RAID 0 or RAID 1 in a beige G3: it absolutely rocks to do so. Obviously, you can't install OSX on a boot array.....yet....but you can install OS9.1 on a boot array, then install OSX on an IDE drive, then simply tell the Mac which to use to boot from.

you cannot boot off a striped RAID 0 in a New World machine like Yose. (Well.....You can force a boot off a RAID 0.....but it is neither endorsed nor supported. )

You CAN boot off a RAID 1 mirror in New World machines, at least in theory.

rhunt000
04-30-2001, 10:25 PM
That's awesome. I appreciate the info on that.

Mactacular
04-30-2001, 10:49 PM
Hmmm....another reason for me to buy that Beige G3 DT I've been looking at.

TZ
05-01-2001, 08:27 AM
B&W G3 booting off mirror. At one point due to problems my mirror was gone and there was no plain hfs+ volume and it did find and boot from striped raid volume - I kept a backup copy of the system. Unsupported and haven't tried to do it again.

Too bad I can't use a RAM disk for booting though. Nice use for 200MB.

Gregory

Santilli
05-20-2001, 07:34 AM
Two X 15's is a nice boot array. Just went from 4 drives to two.

Beige has a limit, due to the Grackle chipset, of about 75 MB sec.

I believe raid arrays should be even numbers. 2 drives work well, 4 are faster, but the access time seems a bit slower, 5 X 15' are slower then
4 in my beige.

I just post a note about changing the boot array. It's really easy with a mac.
It's a f....g nightmare with a pc...

gs