PDA

View Full Version : Block size not supported / HDD temps

the_anarch
05-13-2001, 07:37 PM
I just got my four-disk RAID array built (out of those old HVD Barracudas I salvaged), and am having trouble formatting the fourth drive. SoftRAID reports it as being "Block size not supported". I seem to remember that there's something you're supposed to do to change the block size, or something. I also seem to remember that you have to do it with something other than SoftRAID... Kaye, didn't you have some info on this one time?

Also, I've got thermal sensors on the electronics side of all four drives- they're all at about 40 degrees C, except for one which is 44... Anyone know if these temperatures are on the hot side for old hard drives (ST15150WD), or if they're OK?

MacMikester
05-13-2001, 09:22 PM
Hey ta,

FWB HDT is the only formatting ute that I can think of right now that gives you the option of changing the block size on a format. There probably are others (I have HDST but I haven't looked at the low level format options with this). I don't remember this option in Drive Setup, SoftRAID or ATTO Tools.

PS: My first official act was to delete your dup post. You have the power too (Delete This Topic option) http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

the_anarch
05-13-2001, 11:51 PM
MacMiko, thanks for the deletion. Unfortunately I can't do that, I don't have moderator privs in this forum- only Custom Config and Upgrade or Buy New.

I think I'm glad I have my own registered copy of FWB HDT after all...

kaye
05-14-2001, 02:38 AM
ta,

My recollection is that the only way to go to block size 512 bytes is to do a low level format with HDT, click Options:

"This button becomes available when you select a Low Level format for a
SCSI device. It offers you the choice to adjust block size, maintain a list of
disk defects, delete the list of disk defects provided by the manufacturer,
and disable certification. Click Options to open the SCSI Formatting
Options dialog box." There may be an easier way, I don't recall.

The drive temperature should be measured on the top, smooth side of the drive and the ST15150 manual says max 50C. k

the_anarch
05-14-2001, 08:36 AM
Drive temp should be measured on the flat, non-electronics side, huh? I mean, it doesn't make too much of a difference to me because I'm cooling both sides (I've got air-flow going on all sides since they're vertically mounted), but I would've guessed the electronics side was the one to worry about since that's the side you're supposed to mount an Ultrathin HDD cooler on.

Still, 50C sounds like I've got some headroom. Maybe not much...

Thanks for the info on what to do with FWB HDT.

kaye
05-14-2001, 11:01 AM
ta,

It's the flat side that dissipates the heat generated.

I found the thread where block size was changed before http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000322.html

Scribble
Member posted 16 March 2001 14:44 ??? ???? ??
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, after more failed efforts at getting the 514 block size changed to 512, I located a copy of HD Toolkit version 4 that a friend has. I took the drive over this morning, hooked it up to his machine and set the formatting to Low Level and clicked on the option button. This gave me the opportunity to set the block size to 512. HDT informed me the process would take about 40 minutes so we went and got a cup of espresso. Well, all went well for about 10 to 15 minutes and then HD Toolkit crashed. Restarted. Now, when I tried to access the disk, I got an error. HDT didn't want to do anything with the disk after that. Bummer.

Well. I took it home and after some thought, I hooked it back up to my machine and started SoftRaid. BINGO! The block size was now at 512 and SoftRaid said it needed to be initialized. So, at least HDT had done that. I let SoftRaid do a low level format and now I have a functional drive!

k

kaye
05-14-2001, 11:32 AM
ta,

Here is my take on some of the things you brought up. IBM used to show the exact position on the flat side of where to measure the temperature. The heat is dissipated on the top side to protect the electronics side from overtemperatures. Heat is also, of course, dissipated thru the sides via the metal drive mounting adapters to a metal case. IMO, the UltraThin's primary purpose is to keep the electronics side cool when the drive is mounted close to the flat side of another drive so that the heat generated from the other drive's flat side does not cook the electronics.

So you have to worry about both sides, the flat side that enough heat is being dissipated, the electronics side that another drive is not cooking it. k

the_anarch
05-14-2001, 12:21 PM
See, now that just makes so much plain sense, it's actually elegant. In fact, if you think about it, since the major reason you'd want to use an UltraThin Heat Exhauster would be when you have two drives in close proximity that you don't want cooking each other, you could have the Exhauster working on either side, as long as it was between the two drives.

I'll have to get some pics posted, but as I mentioned before I'm trying to work around the problem of having these four old hot monsters cooking each other by mounting them vertically in my four-bay MAP. I mounted two thick 60mm fans in a 5.25" sled in the very bottom (fifth) bay, the one that's partially blocked by the power switch. They suck air in through the holes at the bottom of the front bezel, and blow it up to the top of the case. The four drives are mounted front-to-back so the air flows between them to the top. Then, presumably, the big exhaust fan in the back blows it out from there. I've been thinking about making some holes in the top of the case so the air can just go straight out the top (as long as I don't sit something on top). Or maybe I could just mill out a big rectangular hole and replace it with a grill of some kind...

I might also do a comparison in operational temps by mounting them in two BayCooler-IIIs that I got from PC Power & Cooling. Unfortunately, I got them after Mag warned me about their funky screw holes...

I guess I'll have to see if my copy of HDT 3 has that block size option, or else fork over the dough for version 4...

kaye
05-14-2001, 12:49 PM
HDT 3 has that option. My quote from FWB was from the HDT 3 pdf manual. Just be sure you are running OS8.6 or earlier when using HDT 3. Last version update I think was 3.0.2.

Scribble's way is less than elegant since he got an error. But maybe version 3 would do it better. Anyway, it seems to work. k

MacMikester
05-14-2001, 10:21 PM
I'm back in time with HDT 3.0.2 as well, but I boot off the FWB CD when I need to use HDT or Configure.

the_anarch
05-15-2001, 12:06 PM
Thanks Huey Lewis!