PDA

View Full Version : Quiet RAID = oxymoron?

ricercar
04-23-2001, 07:20 PM
Hey

I've noticed no comments regarding environmental noise by Burly enclosures, neither with nor without cooling fans on each drive bay. I'm assembling a RAID hopefully for music recording with an Emu Darwin SCSI HD recorder.

Am I insane to think a Burly RAID with drive bay fans can be running in a coffee shop with performing musicians? Will I be getting a reasonable recording instead of getting my butt kicked out the door?

I'm looking for dB numbers and/or subjective observations. Would bam-bam's RAID be ok in a bedroom where a baby sleeps? How about where a wife sleeps? How about a MacGeek? Enquiring minds want to know.

------------------
ricercar

my free 7500 is nickel-and-diming me to death.

magician
04-24-2001, 01:34 AM
I can't comment, as my ears are shot, and I am surrounded by arrays. I hear nothing.

and that can't be right.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

PENDRAGON18
04-24-2001, 08:23 AM
I do not have any dB numbers, but I have info that may help... and some perspective.

A long time ago Gurus sold bay fans that were NOISEY. They generated the kind of rattle that would drive me (and others) nuts. The Ultimate coolers are much better in this regard. You may be able to find quieter fans if you look. The 10K Cheetahs are suprisingly quiety. You can hear them when they are running a disk access, but it is not all that bad. I dont have any x15 drives so I can not comment on those. I only have older Barracudas - so they seem a bit louder.

My B&WG3/500 has one 36GB Cheetah, one 40GB Maxtor and one 20GB Quantum - along with a PCI fan and a RADEON PCI (with fan). It is fairly quiet vs. my PTProG3/500 with 2x9GB Cudas, 2x9GB VikingIIs, 2x18GB AtlasVs; a V5 and numerous other fans. That PTPro is NOISEY!

HTH, GL and YMMV

kaye
04-24-2001, 01:32 PM
I have a db meter (if the batteries are still good and I can find the meter) and can crank up my 8-bay Burly which at the moment has seven Ult Coolers in the front and three 80mm fans in the rear and six X15s. May take me a day or so, but I will get you some readings. Will post when I have something. k

ricercar
04-24-2001, 02:41 PM
Thank you, kaye. Knowing the loudness of your enclosure at 1 meter would be quite useful to me.

I'm getting my MacGurus order ready for the first week of May; this is pre-sale assistance, not idle curiousity. :-)

------------------
ricercar

kaye
04-24-2001, 08:06 PM
The setup:
4x8 piece of plywood
8-bay Burly with 6 X15 drives, 7 Ult Coolers, cover over top bay opening
Burly has three 80mm fans in the rear
Sound Level Meter

The meter starts at 50dB and goes up to 126dB. I chose the 50-66dB meter scale. Accuracy about +/- 2%. The meter hears 32Hz to 10kHz and is very sensitive. Burly is about 17" tall. I put the meter on top of an 8" box and pointed it directly at the Burly.

Front:
1 meter - 51.5dB (startup 55dB)
1/2 meter - 55.2dB
1 foot - 57.9dB

Either side:
1 meter - 51.0dB
1/2 meter - 54.0dB
1 foot - 55.9dB

Sounds quiet to me, but maybe I'm deaf from hearing too many jet engines. According to the meter manual, dB in the 50's is pretty quiet.

Of course, a smaller Burly with less coolers and drives would be quieter. I could not measure that on this meter. I have no idea how quiet it would need to be for your purpose. k

tm311
04-24-2001, 09:29 PM
"A" weighted or "C" weighted?

kaye
04-25-2001, 12:15 AM
tm311,

Damn, can't get away with anything with you guys. Good catch. I used "C" weighting, which is 32Hz to 10kHz on this meter. "A" weighting is 500Hz to 10kHz. I did briefly try the "A" weighting and it was within a tenth the same. Does that mean the Burly is bass deficient?

Didn't you install a home theater? I used this meter for speaker balance, left, right, center, and rears, on my home theater. As you know, it optimizes the balance for one position in the room. So do I get to sit there? Nope, house goddess sits there, grinning like a cheshire cat. k

magician
04-25-2001, 01:58 AM
damn, k. Your old lady has it good.

hey--do you need another Ult HD Cooler kit to complete that unit? Didn't we send you enough to fill all bays? Let me know. It's no problem to shoot one out to you.

kaye
04-25-2001, 06:02 PM
magician,

You sent me 8 Ult Coolers. You won't let me get away with a thing. I actually liked the look of the existing Burly bezel in the top bay. I'll take it out and put the last Ult Cooler in. Damn, 8 more screws. K

kaye
04-25-2001, 06:09 PM
Only time I can watch a video in THE seat is when she is out of town. Even then, #1 son knows the location of THE seat. I must be last in the pecking order around here. k

Louie
04-25-2001, 09:37 PM
He even used the "Ultimate Test CD" to tweak the theater sound. He sent me a copy and all the dogs in the neighbor came when I played it.

ricercar
04-30-2001, 02:04 AM
Geeze, it's been days and I've neglected to type my big "THANK YOU" to kaye for his measurements. Way thanks, not little thanks. You are tops, Gurus.

BTW, for comparison, my HD recorder operating with one drive chirps at about 52 dB at 0" on my ancient analog SPL meter. Unless the meter is in contact with the enclosure, the needle doesn't move. 55 dB at a half meter on an eight-drive raid means my four drive raid should be fine for my coffee shoppe venues, even with four fans.

------------------
ricercar

[This message has been edited by ricercar (edited 30 April 2001).]