PDA

View Full Version : RAID

dkemme
03-20-2001, 12:37 AM
I have purchased and assembled for my G4 dual 500's OS 9.0.4, 256 MByte, two ST318404LW into a 5023 using the TPO ribbon, I could not configure the SCSI ID connectors so just placed a jumper on the front of one of the drives to ID 1 and left the other blank. A GD 2015 terminator is on one connector and the other is connected using the cable from my ATTO dual channel ULtra3 card in the G4's slot nearest the video card. The machine started fine and the drives were at ID 0 and 1. Using Express RAID 2.2.3, I formatted the drives to RAID 1 but upon restarting the machine, it hangs on booting, just a blank gray screen, no happy Mac or list of starting extensions. The drive lights seem busy at first as the SCSI's are being address, then both go blank, but right prior to the machine hanging, the bottom drive light comes on and stays on. I restarted the machine with the drives off, then turned on and Express RAID said were damaged. After low formatting for hours, repeat of RAID 1 formatting, the same happened upon restart. Any hints? TIA

------------------
Doug Kemme

dkemme
03-20-2001, 12:40 AM
Express RAID 2.3.2 instead of 2.2.3

------------------
Doug Kemme

magician
03-20-2001, 05:01 AM
I would test each drive separately, and see if you can get even one drive to behave correctly. If not, then you start swapping components. The first item I would suspect would be terminator, followed by cabling.

dkemme
03-20-2001, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the tip! One new event this morning, when I was trying to reformat the drives to accomlish above, upon starting I would get a message that the Finder shut down, please save your work and restart... This would occur even with the drives off, but when unplugged from the card, seemed to start up fine. This sounds more like a cabling or terminator problem. The cables came with the ATTO card, should I try the other cable or order a new one from you made by Granite? Also, which terminator would you suggest.

magician
03-20-2001, 09:33 PM
try the other cable, and boot with extensions disabled. Make sure you have flashed the firmware on the ATTO card to the latest revision. Do this with no cables attached to the card. If the card successfully flashes, your card is probably fine.

the thing that is confusing me here is that you were able to initialize and create a RAID 1 volume with no problems at the outset. It was only after you restarted that the difficulties began.

after you have flashed your card, use Drive Setup, the same version in the Utilities folder on your drive, and initialize your drives one at a time, as single fixed volumes.

swap your cables around, and if you are still not getting anywhere, contact deb@macgurus.com and exchange your GD2015 terminator for a GD6299 Diagnostic.

using Drive Setup should address any possible incompatibilities with ExpressRAID. Flashing the card ensures the firmware is updated, and the card is viable. Swapping the cable helps eliminate a defective cable as part of the problem. Exchanging the terminator hits the last remaining element which could be at fault.

what am I missing?

dkemme
04-04-2001, 04:40 PM
I obtained the flash upgrade for the card and passed fine, replaced the cable and reformatted the drives with Apple software and the two drives appear just fine. Restarting the machine is without problems. Then when the drives are formateed with Express PCI into one RAID level 1 drive, they work fine, till the machine restarts, early in the startup, the screen is still gray, the machine locks when accessing the drives, the lower drive light stays on. If I restart the machine with the drives turned off but still connected, the machine starts fine. Then turning on the drives, Express PCI states drives are corrupted and I must reformat. Any ideas? DJK

magician
04-04-2001, 09:12 PM
do you have the ExpressRAID extension installed? Is it loading on boot?

(just out of curiosity....why are you using ExpressRAID again?)

dkemme
04-09-2001, 08:15 AM
I did not install the ExpressRAID extension upon advice of MacGurus as no removable media connected to the card, the watcher program is installed and starts up automatically in StartUp folder. I am using ExpressRAID because I need a RAID 1 drive.

dkemme
04-09-2001, 01:44 PM
I did not install the extension at MacGurus suggestion as not using removeable disks, the watcher program is running though. I am trying to use ExpressRAID because I need a RAID 1.

dkemme
04-13-2001, 06:19 PM
Is anyone there?

magician
04-14-2001, 06:53 AM
sorry for the delay.

I guess what I am asking is why are you using ExpressRAID rather than SoftRAID?

since you can initialize the drives successfully with Drive Setup, that strongly suggests that your hardware is fine.

try restarting with the ATTO extension installed, and see if that makes a difference.

if not...my suspicion is that we'll need to rule out a conflict with ExpressRAID.

we generally recommend SoftRAID over ExpressRAID here, except in cases where audio engineers or musicians require ExpressRAID to remain in compliance with their Digi service contracts.

you may have little alternative but to call ATTO and argue your way past their tier one tech support, only to find that there is a problem that no one else has yet reported.

if you own a copy of SoftRAID, I would update it to revision 2.2.2 and reinitialize those drives using that utility. You should be fine, at that point.

just don't try to install an OS on the mirror: boot off your IDE drive. That should work fine.

it feels like ExpressRAID is the problem, here.

dkemme
04-16-2001, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the info. I am using ExpressRAID because it came in the RAID kit with the ATTO card. The disk did not have a copy of SoftRAID but I will order one ASAP.

dkemme
04-16-2001, 08:32 AM
Another question, when SoftRAID arrives, do I keep the ExpressRAID watching program and ExpressRAID extension, or remove them?

jorge
04-16-2001, 08:50 AM
remove them

magician
04-16-2001, 12:53 PM
damn.

ok.

I'm hoping that this will turn out to be a problem with ExpressRAID. It won't surprise me to confirm it. This is the best way to do it, too, IMO.

I just saw your order for SoftRAID transit thru the system, so go check your email in box and install it!

make sure you initialize both drives with SoftRAID, then mirror. Leave SoftRAID extension installed if you want the menu bar to flash when there is an out of sync condition. Otherwise, you can disable it.

let us know what happens!

(SoftRAID is a great diagnostic tool in cases like this, as it will refuse to install on subsystems that have a hardware problem. If it installs, you know your hardware is fine. If RAID 1 works correctly, then we can assume that you have uncovered an incompatibility with ExpressRAID.)

we're standing by to hear more about this one!

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Louie
04-16-2001, 08:48 PM
It's also one hell of lot easier to understand!

dkemme
04-17-2001, 08:20 AM
Just installed SoftRAID and works great! Thanks for all your help.

magician
04-18-2001, 12:19 AM
well...now we know not to let anyone use ExpressRAID in a G4 dualie.

not that we would ever recommend it to anyone....but if anyone ever asks why we prefer SoftRAID, well, this is just one example.