PDA

View Full Version : Mark James: RAID 5 should be available soon!

schalliol
03-26-2001, 12:56 PM
If you're on the SoftRAID email list you saw Mark's message today:

We are developing RAID 5. It should be available areound the same time as the OS X version.

That's pretty sweet! So, would you guys use a three drive RAID 5 config? I think that would be really nice.

PENDRAGON18
04-10-2001, 08:29 AM
So then is it SoftRAID-5 for X, 9 or both?

It could be 6 months for the X version of SR to come out.

schalliol
04-10-2001, 09:34 AM
I'd guess that it'll be both for 9 and X, but yeah, it could be awhile for either to come out.

magician
04-10-2001, 03:27 PM
I'm thinking we'll at least have news by MacWorld.

That's not that far away.

schalliol
04-10-2001, 03:44 PM
So, will all of you add an additional drive to you arrays for this? For example, if you've got two drives on your chain, would you add a third?

PENDRAGON18
04-11-2001, 10:54 PM
Good question schal,

That brings up another point - if you have a striped RAID - lets say two drives - you could add RAID 5 after the fact - or a 3rd drive for backup????

Of course its not exactly a mirror of the two stripped so I guess it would some how need to set itself up and I would be the software aint up to the task. Of course Alsoft has a disk repartitioner that works with out reformatting....

magician
04-14-2001, 08:01 AM
I think I myself....I would use at least four or five drives, if only to have a hot-spare.

it will be one of those things that is dictated, I suspect....by the software.

I wouldn't expect quite the same flexibility from software that you enjoy from a backplane. I do expect it to cost a lot less, though....and it will probably work better, if only on the Mac.