PDA

View Full Version : softraid 2.1.5 and 2.2.2 not working with g4 upgrade and initio uw9100 scsi card

acatero
03-13-2001, 06:16 PM
I have a g3 beige desktop that was upgraded to a xlr8 g4 400.
I bought a uw9100 initio uw scsi card which is attached to 4 uw seagate cheetah drives. These were both bought from macgurus.
The initio card came with softraid 2.1.5 from macgurus.

I used softraid to initialize the disks and then create a volume. The volume is seen by the system and works fine. The problem is when the machine is rebooted the bootup process only gets as far as the little computer icon with the smiley face. The bootup process never finishes. If I disconnect the disks, the machine
boots fine.

I tried upgrading to softraid 2.2.2 and that didn't help. If I just use the system disk setup software and don't create a raid volume and use each disk as one partition everything works fine.

I also installed the current initio drivers and firmware from their website.

Softraid's website mentions problems with booting on upgrade cards and I hope this isn't the case.

Any help is appreciated.

Andy Catero

magician
03-14-2001, 01:28 AM
there is no conflict between SoftRAID and the XLR8 board. More likely, you have an issue with cable impedence or termination. Where are these drives? In an external enclosure? What sort of cabling is used inside the enclosure, and what type between the Miles and the enclosure? What terminator are you using? If SoftRAID refuses to complete a bus scan, generally the reason is hardware, typically cabling or termination.

keep in mind that a four-drive ultrawide single-ended array will be at the upper limit for single-ended wide cabling, particularly if your internal cable adheres to the SCSI spec with at least 8-inches between connectors.

acatero
03-14-2001, 04:04 PM
Thanks Magician for your help. I still have some questions though.

I am using a kingston external enclosure. I have a 1 ft external scsi cable going from the inition card to the enclosure. I then have internal scsi cables for the additional 4 drives. I believe this cable is 2 1/2 or 2 ft in length.
I have an active terminator at the end of the scsi chain. the cable do not exceed the scsi spec as I did my research before I bought this setup.

If this was a hardware issue why do the drives work fine just using macinstosh's disk format command? All 4 drives are seen and work fine so I am not understanding the hardware issues. Also everything works fine on my sgi o2. I am currently using all 4 drives without raid software and everything works fine.
Is softraid more particular than macos system software?

It is just when I use softraid and reboot that the softraid volume doesn't allow
for the mac to boot. Is there anyway to get more information from the macos. Coming from a unix system admin environment it is frustrating because the macos tells me so little about what is happening with the system.

I hope you have more suggestions as this is the forum I am to use for macguru support for the products I bought. I can provide my purchase order if you need it.

magician
03-15-2001, 04:46 AM
SoftRAID is extremely stringent. If anything is amiss, it will often refuse to function where other utilities will work. We saw very similar behavior between SoftRAID and Drive Setup and HDST with certain Cheetah drives using a specific firmware revision. While volumes initialized with the last two utilities would mount, SoftRAID would refuse to complete a bus scan. Updating the Miles2 firmware (rev 1.06b) fixed the issue. You do want to ensure that you have updated your Miles card to the lastest firmware revision, if you have not already done so.

will a SoftRAID volume mount if you boot with extensions disabled?