PDA

View Full Version : Heat problem (4 HD)

Mas
01-21-2001, 03:22 PM
I've got 3 Quantum 10KII and an ATA in a G4 DP.
The 3 10KIIs sit on each bays at the bottom. At the 3rd bay (near PCI slots) ATA is at the top of one of 10KII.

I moved my ATTO card to 1st PCI slot next to AGP, 'cause I thought not enough space between HD and ATTO card. I could not put ATTO card in 3rd(last) PCI slot because of the cable was squashed with HD and card, and no air flow.

At the end of the day, I checked how hot it might be and 10KII (under ATA) got very hot so as ATA (under 10KII).
I replaced ATA to the bottom, so 10KII sit at the top near the fun, but ATA got very very hot now!

I'm worried, heat, how hot? I think it's closed to 50?c. http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/crossbones.gif

So I'm thinking about adding cooling fan, or moving one of HDs to up the space at the top of DVD drive. then I need some work, I've got metal workshop to produce one (handy!) The HD will be ATA, I guess. I need an advice to do so, please. Have anyone done this?
Thanks, http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Mas

Dogstarman
01-21-2001, 03:57 PM
Whatever you do, try to stay away from sticking a drive above the DVD drive. You think there is little airflow near the bottom? There is almost none up there. And that stack (known as position 3) with room for 2 drives is intended for low-RPM ATA drives only. It would seem a bad idea for both drives to be there like that. You will need to stay below 50 Celsius, no matter what. So it looks like you will need a fan or something to draw heat away. You are sure that the current fans are working (check the power supply one)? I don't have a machine like yours, but I have worked with a bunch, and they never really got terribly hot. What drive model numbers do you have? Is one larger drive a possibility?

Mas
01-21-2001, 06:48 PM
Yep, built-in fan is working. It's 10KII 36Gb. Well 10KII at the top of ATA get direct air flow, but surface gets better cooling, but ATA gets only (little) air going around its sides. It's probably OK. 10KII's operation limit is below 50 celsius they say, I sould get my thermostat to double check. But I don't think 49.9 celsius is OK. If I need fan or something to draw heat away, what suits? I saw Macgurus do fan fits in PCI slot, I've got limited space though.
( Gurus ship stuff world-wide? Granite does, by the way. I'm getting cables and terms. I'm tring to find a fan. which fun? 5V to 12 V, How much air flow ?), And there is no way to put above DVD with a fan, 2 more can go! wait! power problem may occour? In order to put my 4th drive, I already split one of powers once. what's Max? I can find that myself.
Thanks, Dogstarman!
Mas, UK

Dogstarman
01-21-2001, 08:26 PM
You will need a 12V fan. A 5V will work, but they are a lot less common. I will let someone with a better understanding of the internal help out with fan placement. Having air circulating internally would be a good thing, but you need to make sure you are able to intake and exhaust a lot of air. Which directions are the fans blowing now? Power supply on Macs usually blows out (exhaust). I have had much better success adding fans blowing in to make it a Positive-Pressure-Ventilation setup. Not just in computers, but in electronice in general. As far as CFM goes, anything above 25 or so should give you a big boost. But remember, check into your case and see where the air is coming from and going out. See if dust is collecting around the bezels or anything.

Dogstarman
01-21-2001, 08:27 PM
Oh yeah. Definitely pick up a thermometer (thermostat) and see what temperatures you are dealing with. Make sure the probe (tip) is shielded. A lot of them come with a black plastic tip on a long wire and are meant for internal or external thermometers in a house. Nice and cheap.

magician
01-21-2001, 10:39 PM
I would only use the standard drive mounting stations in that machine, with LVD drives side-by-side, and relatively cooler ATA drives stacked in the third bay. If you look at where the G4's big beefy fan is positioned, it is perfectly positioned to suck hot air off the tops of the drives in the standard bays.

There is no airflow, or stock mounting brackets, for installing drives on top of the DVD. Just because there is physical space there does not mean it is a good idea to install a hot drive there.

Mas
01-21-2001, 11:26 PM
G4's fan blow cool air in and onto HDs, hot air gets out through power unit , right? So I put the cooler ATA at the bottom of LVD drive. The LVD drive get more cool air. What do you think?
Mas