PDA

View Full Version : The 80 Gig Maxtor HD

John Ta
01-19-2001, 10:36 PM
Hi, replaced the factory ribbon cable in my g3 266 desktop with a master/slave (3 females) ribbon cable in order to add other devices, such as another 80 gig HD.

Set the factory 6 gb western digital HD to Master, and the 80 to slave but the 80 gig is not recognized, while the 6 gig is. Tried playing with order of connections on the cable and master/slave jumper settings to no avail.

However, it does get recognized when I put it on its own ribbon cable. (there are 2 ide ribbons going back to motherboard), but had to take out CD rom drive to do this, this is not an option , i need the CD rom drive but still need the extra HD space.

Am I going to have to get a IDE to Firewire enclosure to external it? Hope not.

Help

John T.

magician
01-19-2001, 11:18 PM
check your machine to see whether you have a Rev A, Rev B, or Rev C.

Rev A does not support IDE slaves.

Louie
01-20-2001, 12:04 AM
Magician has been brainwashed by OWC; there was no Rev C. However, you must have a Rev B ROM to run slave ATA on each of your two channels.

Look it the Apple System Profiler. Rev A has ROM subversion v4.0F2. Rev B has either v4.5F1 or v4.5F2. Rev B ROM can be had and swapped.

magician
01-20-2001, 01:07 AM
hmmm. Actually, I was brainwashed by dookie's brother, Spud, who authored the beige G3 logic board page (http://www.macgurus.com/beta/mbppcg3desk.html) text on the main site, and did all the research. He delved in the TIL and the Developer's site for his data, then synopsized and synthesized in accordance with a gentle format we use for those pages.

looking back at them, there appears to be just two beige G3 revs....as Dookie's text clearly states that rev 3 is in fact the Yosemite logic board.

sigh.

there appear to be two ROM revisions, 40F2 and 45F1, each corresponding to rev A and rev B logic boards. The 45F2 ROM revision corresponds to the Rev C or Rev 3 logic board, which is aka Yosemite.

I think I'm clear on this now.

John Ta
01-20-2001, 02:34 AM
I looked in apple system profiler 2.4.2 and can't find what you asked.

At any rate, I looked on the motherboard and it says rage II instead of rage pro, which means i'm rev a which means i'm outta luck - so says www.xlr8yourmac.com. (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com.)

Funny thing is, my on site tech support extended warranty company is going to show up at my door with a new motherboard and I hope its a rev b. My mac stopped chiming while trying to do all of this. haha.

I need as much storage as possible with what i'm doing.

thanks,

John T.

p.s. like the commie motif, not that i am one...

magician
01-20-2001, 09:39 AM
that's excellent, John. You know, it is very likely that it will be a rev b board. If it isn't, you could simply point it out to your technician and ask him to come back another time with a rev b. Couldn't hurt to ask. The squeaky wheel generally gets the grease.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

oh, yeah. FYI: you just need to look more carefully at the ASP report. The ROM revision is there, as Louie advised.

Louie
01-20-2001, 02:10 PM
I don't know where the Yosemite got into this. My info comes straight from Apple's developer pages. My wife's 266 DT (Oct 98) came with a ROM subversion v4.5F2.

The ROM's that OWC were giving away and then selling for $35 were v4.5F1, also Rev B.

Nevertheless, either v4.5F1 of v4.5F2 will allow ATA slaving. These modules can be had, although with more effort and expense than earlier. It's a simple matter to swap.

magician
01-20-2001, 03:05 PM
interesting. According to Apple's Developer docs, ROM 45F2 is also used in Yosemite.

John Ta
01-20-2001, 05:44 PM
What is OWC and why can't I buy the remedy from macgurus. I've bought from you guys before.

John T.

Louie
01-20-2001, 06:47 PM
OWC is Other World Computing. The ROM modules are Apple parts and have to come from Apple or scrounged somehow. Be careful, the 4.5F1 and 4.5F2 have the same Apple p/n. not sure about the 4.0F2's p/n, but you have one. Be sure to get one of the first two. OWC was out of them the last I heard. There are some more threads here to search on recent efforts to find one. Try this http://www.sur-tech.com/cgi/page?menu,home .

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 20 January 2001).]