PDA

View Full Version : Moving Data to New Hard Drives

Phillyjoe
12-23-2000, 05:34 PM
Hello
I'm about to tackle building my own RAID with two 73 GB Cheetah drives, cables, and enclosure purchased from MacGurus. "Roll Your Own RAID" really looks great with clear instructions. I'm sure I can do it. Here's my question, though. Our server is already set up for a mirrored RAID with two 9GB Seagate Cheetahs inside a BW G3 running OS 904 and 256 MB ram with SoftRaid 222 and ASIP 631. There's an Adaptec SCSI card appropriate for the LVD 160 protocol to which there are two mirrored 2GB drives attached. The 9 GB internal drives are currently used as the main server for our Production Department and the 2GB drives are used by the Admin Department who does not require as much space. My plan is to use the new 73GB drives for Production and the existing 9GB Cheetahs for Admin, and get rid of the the two 2GB drives. What would be the best way to rearrange the data on these drives? All are near capacity. I do not want the users to notice any change. I also do not want to break links to aliases or Quark Xpress links to pictures. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

magician
12-24-2000, 12:54 AM
add an underscore character to the names of each of your original volumes, then create and name new volumes with the new drives without the underscores.

by dragging and dropping an original volume onto a new volume, then opening up the old volume icon inside the new volume, selecting all (except for desktop folder) and dragging the contents out onto the root, you should be able to avoid breaking aliases. Just make a folder titled deskstuff or something and put the contents of the desktop folder there, then delete the original desktop folder and the original volume icon from the new drive.

doubleclick on the system folder to open and close it, which should "bless" it, and then see if you can boot off the new drive. If so, you should be ok. Test your aliases, then get back to work.

repeat as necessary.

that should do it.

PENDRAGON18
12-26-2000, 08:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I do not want the users to notice any change.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
What if they notice an increase in performance http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ?

As long as the file path is the same, the alias' should be fine.
You will need to hook up all 6 at some point... maybe not at the same time.
Move 9G data -> 73G
Move 2G data -> 9G

I assume everything is backed up. I hear that MIRRORED RAIDs are good, but that is no substitute for a backup - like CD-r, FW drive, etc....

So what you gonna do with 2 useless 2G drives?-)

------------------
Have fun storming the castle!

Phillyjoe
12-28-2000, 09:49 PM
Thanks, Magician and Pendragon.

I am still assembling the hardware (with another topic question posted in regard to SCSI ID Connectors). As soon as I am ready to copy data, I will have your suggestions printed out and standing by.
Pendragon, I'm not sure what I'll do with the 2GB externals. Attach to a printer to store fonts? Use it to move data from an old computer to a new? I'll think of something.

magician
12-29-2000, 01:28 AM
my pleasure.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Phillyjoe
01-02-2001, 11:08 PM
During the snowstorm on Saturday, I went into the empty office and put the new RAID online using the help you provided. Everything went fairly smoothly. I decided to leave the system software on the 9GB drives which required a partitioning. Easy with SoftRaid. No problems at all. Did have an issue when I moved the files to the new 73 GB drives. ASIP 631 lost the privleges to the files. Had to recreate shared items and privledges. Oh well, gave me a chance to review who had access to what.
Monday morning and everything is running flawlessly fast. Just wish my boss and coworkers knew the effort that went into the whole implementation and the quality equipment we now own. They just see a new box and some extra space available for files. Only one person on a B&W G3 came over to me and asked if the upgrade made things faster. He had noticed. Ah... a little reward.

magician
01-02-2001, 11:52 PM
being an unsung hero is its own reward, my friend.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif