PDA

View Full Version : Audio-in jack on new 17" iMac

mw
02-19-2003, 02:55 AM
During a show-and-tell at the local Apple Store the salesguy said that there had been certain noise issues in digital recording with USB sound input devices, which is why Appple added an extra audio-in jack to the new 17" 1Ghz iMac (release 2 weeks ago).

Anybody know what these issues were?
Any general pointers for recording music onto an iMac?

M.Brane
02-19-2003, 10:02 PM
I've seen a number of posts on various recording boards about pops, clicks and similar types of distortion with USB audio. It's not something that's exclusive to Macs either. I think it has to do with buggy drivers and the slow throughput of USB. As long as you don't need more than a couple channels of audio in/out USB is OK. Lot's of people use USB input devices successfully with ProTools Free.

If you need more than four simultanious inputs you should be looking at FireWire or PCI (the latter obviously not an option on an iMac).

TheBleedingEdge
02-25-2003, 12:49 PM
Forget about audio over USB. It's a serial bus for keyboards, controllers, printers and that's about it. Too slow for much else. Apple did well to add the extra audio input. I have to laugh when I see adds for USB audio gizmos.