PDA

View Full Version : Death to Logic on Wintel effective 9/3

billbo
07-02-2002, 06:50 PM
Big news announced yesterday. Guess we might have "iMusician" pretty soon.

This is just the Register's (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/25966.html) gist of it.

I'm sure that upcoming MW will have more news about it. Supposedly, Aqua will be the new look that Logic will be getting.

Comments anyone???

------------------
Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscious state"

M.Brane
07-02-2002, 08:15 PM
Would be cool to have Logic pre-installed gratis on a new G4 w/DDR, no? http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ricercar
07-03-2002, 01:01 AM
My Delta 1010 interface came with Logic, and I was unimpressed.

It's certainly better than nothing, especially if bundled or downloadable from Apple, but I much prefer BIAS Deck over Logic when I pays my money.

------------------
ricercar

Everything seems like overkill until you get used to it. - Ironmac

bif
07-03-2002, 06:02 AM
i got an audiowerks2 a few years a go in order to overcome a hardware failure on our BWG3 ( the sound in/out got fried in a freak short and would have required an entire motherboard swap). the emagic audiowerks PCI solution was great, and i even used the waveburner software a couple times, but my Yamaha CDRW wasn't well supported and some of the drive features were lame. anyway, it seemed to me that emagic was always way behind on updates to support the latest apple system software upgrades. still, the little i used the stuff led me feel that they were a good company and now as a part of the bigger apple machine, it boads well for the future of the mac.
i was hoping that the audiowerks2 card would get an OSX driver but now it would seem that will never happen. i only do a little amatuer analog sound input and have wondered whether or not the RCA style connectors have any advantage over the built-in 1/8 inch style. what do you think?

M.Brane
07-03-2002, 08:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> i only do a little amatuer analog sound input and have wondered whether or not the RCA style connectors have any advantage over the built-in 1/8 inch style. what do you think?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, the RCA's will give you better quality than a minijack. I would bet that the converters on the Audiowerk card are probably better than the Mac's as well although the best way to go is external.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>My Delta 1010 interface came with Logic, and I was unimpressed.

It's certainly better than nothing, especially if bundled or downloadable from Apple, but I much prefer BIAS Deck over Logic when I pays my money.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Logic is not for everyone. I'm a PT guy myself but then I don't do any sequencing. I have a good friend who happens to be a http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/kickass.gif drummer. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ricercar
07-04-2002, 12:06 AM
OK, so I gave Logic another try. It's nowhere near as bad as I thought for multi-track audio recording, and offers a pretty UI for MIDI sequencing if you're into that kind of thing.

Turns out I have a special OEM version, Logic Delta, ships with M Audio's "Delta" series hardware. I had not RTFM and was therefore thwarted in certain expectations. There are some reasonable limitations, such as an 8-channel limitation for 8-channel hardware. And it won't work with ASIO drivers until I actually move my ASIO drivers into the proper folder. *Duh!* I take back all my evil thoughts and disparaging remarks.

Anyone know what are the differences between the commercial versions: Logic Silver, Gold, and Platinum?

------------------
ricercar

Everything seems like overkill until you get used to it. - Ironmac

bif
07-04-2002, 07:10 AM
maybe the next generation PowerMac will include RCA input and output like the old 7500 A/V, with the Logic software included.

billbo
07-04-2002, 06:51 PM
ricercar: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Anyone know what are the differences between the commercial versions: Logic Silver, Gold, and Platinum?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shooting out of my arse, I think 'Silver' is one step above the beginner/amateur(novice) 'MicroLogic AV' (which I have, but a old version and although I've wanted to update to the most recent version I'd have to spend $X-amount on, so I'm waiting to see what Apple's gonna do), 'Gold' adds more Soft-synth/VST-integration (and instrumentation) support (maybe even a lil' bit of Time Code as well, not too sure) 'Platinum' offers interaction with PT's TDM (and can utilize the PCIs' DSP).

I'm sure that is a bit simplistic, but I (like M.Brane) am a PT's user and I don't do much sequencing. I too have a drummer friend, but I've tried the Reason demo and am starting think about "that solo album".

------------------
Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscious state"