PDA

View Full Version : 8500 - Firewire or upgrade SCSI ?

Pip
05-16-2002, 12:12 PM
Having read the previous topics I am tending to lean in favour of SCSI. I currently run my 8500 with a NewerTech G4 450Mhz but am still using my old Ext Quantum Fireball 2Gig which had been rock solid for years.

Now that I have upgraded both the processor and the memory ( 448Mb) and the software, now Logic Audio 4.7 I would really like/need to upgrade my external storage.

I am not sure what my current Quantum is - SCSI 2 I guess ???

My friend has just bought a New G4 800 plus a Lacie Firewire and seems quite happy with it.

So I was thinking of buying a combo card ( Firewire / USB ) to allow me to go down that route plus take advantage of the newer USB devices also. I have heard conflicting comments about PCI speed ( 32bit) in the old 8500 that would restrict me to USB 1 ( as opposed to USB 2).

Now I am hearing that Firewire may not be the best option and that Ultra160 SCSI is.

My problem now is if I decide to go the route of Ultra160 SCSI will I need to buy a new SCSI adapater ( PCI card) and if so will I have the same issues with my PCI bus speed as I would if I go the FireWire/USB2 route.

Ideally I would like to have either Firewire or SCSI and the USB adapter but really only want to buy one PCI card, more for the slot space than cost as I will be taking up another 2 PCI slots with my video and Audio PCI cards.

Help !!!!!

Pip

billbo
05-16-2002, 01:11 PM
This is one problem I've been procrastinating for quite sometime now.

While, I found a great bargain on a Adaptec 2930 (which is outdated 20MBps SCSI) and 1x Barracuda 7200 plus 1x Cheetah 10,000 (both 9GB 1/2 height, which I converted a ATX case to house them), I'm stuck with the "Hmm...USB and F/Wire devices, or stick with SCSI?" for future upgrades.

With our good old PCI PPC's humming along with XLR8 (or insert your CPU upgrade here:____________) upgrades, when will our Mac's cease to become useful to us? I mean literally, OS-X is gonna be what Apple is gonna stick with, and when all the developers of our favorite audio, graphix, publishing programs, etc.., finaly get sick of ensuring compatibility with pre-Yikes, Sawtooth's, etc....Macs, we eventually are going to have to bite the bullet and dump a few hundered-to- a couple of grand on purchasing a G4.

Granted, if you have the ATTO U320LVD card and all the drives necessary, then moving it over to a new G4 is gonna scream, but it's almost shooting yourself in the foot to invest in SCSI-2 thru Ultra2 SCSI periph's now that will eat up a valued PCI slot (which is why right now I'm sticking with my 9500).

Against my personal preference (though the pain that SCSI can be at times, I run ONLY SCSI devices and even though I don't have a full-blown MixPlus, my clients still come back), I would say go with a USB and Firewire combo card, just because you know that you can always move them over when the time comes that you'll be forced into a new G4.

just my $ .02

------------------
Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscious state"

Damien
05-16-2002, 03:53 PM
I have heard that combo cards do not work on older PCI busses

The problem is that one side or the other will work but not both

Pip
05-16-2002, 04:40 PM
This I find quiet strange ???? Newer Macs come with USB and Firewire as standard - surely these types of card are designed for a market of older Power PCs ???

The only thing I have heard about combos is relating to the USB 2.O issue.

M.Brane
05-16-2002, 10:01 PM
You have to weigh the fact that you can't boot from FW and it's nowhere near as fast against the expense and non-hot-swappable SCSI thing. Decisions, decisions! http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/eek.gif